OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
We are a collection of enduring brands and iconic, unforgettable characters. We create content for audiences big and small, reaching billions of people every day. Most of all, we are many individuals, each uniquely talented, each a critical piece to our puzzle, who collectively become a power. Desire to thrill and engage? Join us as we engage and inspire.
The Manager, Sales (Custom Trips) is responsible for developing and selling Custom Trips for National Geographic Expeditions.
- Trip Development: Successfully develop itineraries for private departures to assigned countries based on regional division. Secure costs from preferred operators, negotiate rates, create trip budgets, research NGS/NGM databases to identify NG content, write proposals, and detailed itineraries for each program. Make modifications to proposed itineraries as needed. For programs that are accepted, secure space, finalize registration materials with travelers.
- Develop high quality programs that are appealing to NG travelers and embrace responsible travel principles.
- Sales: Manage traveler relationships and work with special interest groups. Respond to inquiries, understand the clients’ interest, and make recommendations on activities. Help the client understand the value of traveling with National Geographic and sell the program.
- Trip acceptances that meet/exceed financial goals. Excellent customer service that meets/exceeds expectations.
- Management: Manage a Custom Trip Sales Coordinator. Conduct weekly meetings and ensure that they are on task, producing accurate work, meeting deadlines, and working toward and meeting goals. Counsel on difficult work situations. Identify opportunities for improvement and develop and train on new procedures when needed. Write and deliver performance reviews for direct report and recommend professional growth opportunities. Advise manager of staff progress and issues. Assist in hiring and train new Custom Trip Sales staff as needed. Support and enforce National Geographic Expeditions systems, policies, procedures and productivity standards. High functioning team, where team goals are on target.
- An efficient and effective Manager/Coordinator pair that produces high quality proposals. Coordinator is able to serve as backup to Manager when needed.
- Travel internationally and domestically to gain first-hand experience and improve destination knowledge. Travel to conferences and trade events as needed to meet with current and potential suppliers.
- Improve the overall quality of the product offered and increase sales.
- B.A. degree and 2-4 years of related experience and/or training. Background in sales, customer service, trip development. International travel experience to at least 2 different regions of the world. Experience working with luxury-oriented clients is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Candidates should also have the ability to clearly and effectively correspond with suppliers overseas where English is likely not their first language. Foreign language skills are a plus.
- Proficient in Excel for program budgeting. Demonstrated ability to anticipate problems, find creative solutions to challenging situations and present complicated information in a clear and simple manner.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Office, Excel, PowerPoint and common Internet browsers and applications. A background using QuickBase or other databases or CRM software is a plus.
- The candidate must be highly organized, able to multitask, manage a team and manage several travelers and proposals at the same time, across multiple destinations.
- Attention to detail is critical. Unwavering accuracy, excellent and systematic organizational skills and flawless attention to detail is necessary.
- Commitment to delivering the highest level of quality and service to clients and to responsible travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.