The Regional Transportation Authority (RTA), located in downtown Chicago, is currently accepting applications
to fill the Accountant position.
Under the direction of the Chief Accountant/AP Supervisor and the Controller, the candidate is responsible for
ensuring the accurate and timely recording and processing of the organization's payable and related
transactions including vendor payments, employee expenses, third party travel reimbursements, other
payment obligations, credit card processing and issues resolution. Responsible for reporting, analyzing and
reconciling specific accounts. Responsibilities include review and approval (as needed) of all vouchers for
payment in keeping with the company's limits of authority protocol. This position will review and verify general
ledger (G/L) codes on invoices, handle inquiries, issue debit/credit memos as necessary, approval routing, and
entry to the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System. Analyze and reconcile vendor accounts, run weekly
cash requirement report for management approval, and maintains weekly aging report. Analyze and prepare
year-end accruals, the SEC documentation, and the Combining financial report. The position will create and
record journal entries for the general fund, capital fund payments, and year end accruals, perform monthly
reconciliations, and a host of other accounting responsibilities. In addition, provide backup for other staff and
assist with special projects as assigned in the Controller division.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure that invoices either emailed and/or added to the ERP system are in compliance with RTA policies,
procedures and the vendor purchase order. Match and process Accounts Payable (A/P) data to the
approved invoice and receipt in ERP. Respond to all payment requests and provide reports as requested.
- Receive, review and process documents from the ERP system and sent through the approval process.
Verify invoices, including vendor profile, department, g/l codes, services dates, and DBE information. Work
with RTA staff to correct errors related to contracts, payments and vendor information in ERP.
- Process centralized payment transactions, process credit card activities, create journal entries for the
general fund and capital fund payments, including debt service payments, year-end accruals and monthly
reconciliations, research and issue credit/debit memos as necessary.
- Serve as the subject matter expert with the A/P module of the ERP system.
- Verify travel/entertainment and non-purchase order requests including credit card items. Investigate and
reconcile any calculation discrepancies and communicate the discrepancies with employees and Chief
accountant /AP Supervisor. Monitor inventory of check stock to ensure a sufficient supply is on hand.
- Run/review the weekly cash requirement report to determine which payables can be processed. Submit
the electronic file and backup for review and approvals. Verify and analyze cash requirement reports to
identify if any corrective action is required.
- Analyze general ledger account reconciliations on a monthly basis. Investigate any variances and record
any correcting or reclassification entries as necessary.
- Verify and record the year-end accrual transactions and appropriate reversal entries. Ensure and review
that all supporting documentations are attached and readily available. Maintain and create electronic files
and arrange for off-site storage of paper files annually per the records retention policy.
- Prepare and verify Service Board and RTA data for accuracy, collect documentation and submit to SEC.
Ensure report is complete and in compliance with SEC requirements.
- Consolidate the annual audit service boards and RTA financial statements and prepares special purpose
combining financial statement.
- Participate in the annual audit work for AP and General ledger. Provide and prepare necessary schedules,
analysis to the auditor's inquiries and requests. Provide assistance in CAFR preparations.
- Assist in training the backup person for specific tasks or duties. Prepare and update documentation of
Accounts Payable (AP) processes on an annual basis to reflect policies and regulations updates and best
- Respond to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests by providing documentation pertains to the A/P
area, such as invoices, correspondence, checks/wire transfers, etc.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Business (Accounting or Finance). A
minimum of 3 years' experience working in an automated accounting environment working on the General
Ledger, Banking and Accounts Payables. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft office products (Word,
Excel) and accounting software programs, specifically an (A/P) Systems. Strong analytical ability with sound
knowledge of finance and accounting principles. Good organization skills and ability to multitask efficiently.
The ability to work independently and in a fast pace professional environment, have a high attention to
detail, and ability to be self-motivated. Knowledge of record retention requirements and ability to maintain
confidential information. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and able to establish and maintain
a congenial working relationship with other employees and the public.
The RTA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The RTA reimburses for travel at the federal
rate for mileage reimbursement. Relocation is not available. For more information about the RTA, visit our
website at www.rtachicago.com.
$60,000 to $70,000
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Regional Transportation Authority
Human Resources, Attn:
175 W. Jackson, Suite 1650
Chicago, IL 60604
To apply online go to:
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer