Plains Midstream Canada (PMC) is an industry-leading transportation and midstream provider specializing in transportation, storage, processing and marketing solutions for crude oil and natural gas liquids (NGLs). PMC also operates strategically-located facilities for crude oil and NGL storage, separates NGL from natural gas and fractionates NGL into pure liquid petroleum gas (LPG) products, including propane and butane.
Fueled by our strong leadership team and a dedicated employee base, combined with our expertise in marketing, logistics and our asset base, PMC is well-positioned to provide our customers with flexible, value-added services now and in the future.
Our Commercial team is a talented group of professionals who are focused on Bigger Opportunities, Bolder Moves and Broader Perspectives!
Plains is looking to fill the position of Director, Market Fundamentals & Analytics. Based in the Calgary corporate office, this position oversees the management and execution of data analytics to support well-informed strategy and business decision-making. This role leads multiple teams focused on providing market, asset, and customer analytics to PMC Executive and multiple PMC business teams. The individual in this role will work closely with the business to understand the analytics needs of these teams, and will lead development of solutions to meet those needs. This role will help guide how PMC applies learnings from advanced analytics to meet our business goals.
- Lead the process for defining the analytics agenda and priorities for PMC’s Commercial group;
- Create / renew PMC’s approach to analytics including how data and analytics work is prioritized, overseen and performed;
- Define how PMC will source, validate, manage and store relevant Commercial data sets, analytical models, and analytical processes;
- Lead the development of rigorous market analysis and forecasting to support short and long term Crude Oil and NGL fundamental outlooks based on quantitative analysis;
- Ensure that PMC’s proprietary models are fit-for-purpose, fully documented, calibrated, validated and continuously improved;
- Develop and implement a strategy for strengthening PMC’s Commercial analytical talent and capabilities;
- Establish and grow the new Asset and Customer Analytics team to support execution of PMC’s strategy;
- Ensure that analytical / model outputs are transformed into actionable insights and are well documented in a form suitable for executives;
- Increase the capability of PMC to deliver data-driven insights to support timely and well-informed decision-making;
- Develop team members on problem-solving, scenario thinking and quantitative analysis to establish a ‘Centre of Excellence’ and maintain capability within the team;
- Lead and maintain a PMC-wide Analytics practitioners network, linking analytics professional across divisions to coordinate activities and resources and to share best practices;
- Maintain an ongoing understanding of emerging Advanced Analytics tools and techniques and their relevance to PMC;
- Ensure that PMC maintains a detailed understanding of third party views on market fundamentals that may impact corporate views; and
- Providing timely communication of market fundamentals and analytical insights to the Trading, Marketing, Asset, Strategic Account, Commercial Project and Executive Teams.
- A University Degree (Commerce, Economics, Finance, Engineering) is mandatory; Masters or Graduate degree preferred
- 15+ years progressively responsible market analysis, data analytics and strategic planning experience in the energy sector;
- Superior oral and written skills, including a demonstrated ability to craft clear and concise messages to explain trends and strategy in corporate presentations;
- Excellent collaboration skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders;
- Client-service orientation;
- Strong understanding of analytics governance and advanced analytical tools;
- Strong attention to detail, proven ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, multi-task and handle high-stress deadlines;
- Ability to lead and mentor diverse teams of new graduates and skilled professionals; and
- Strong interpersonal skills, sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
Our employees drive our success. At PMC, hard work is rewarded with competitive compensation and a top-tier benefits program designed to keep you safe, healthy and happy. We work hard to deliver the best results to our stakeholders but we also respect our employees need for personal and family time, which is reflected in our great benefits program.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
By submitting your resume, you consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of the personal information provided during the application and selection process. Learn more .
All applicants not chosen for an interview shall have all personal information permanently deleted or disposed of with the exception of their resume, which will be kept on file in the event that another suitable position becomes available.