Pixel Union is looking for an experienced front-end developer to join our team in Victoria or Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Pixel Union's Developers bring our custom projects to life, working closely with the design team to produce best-in-class digital experiences. We're looking for someone who has an eye for the little details that can make or break a stand out UX. Developers play an active role in projects, both internal and client facing and help shape our coding standards and best practices so that we can continue to deliver the best quality code to our clients.
Success in the role requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of development, a deep knowledge of front-end development technologies, and a desire to work closely with designers and back end developers on the team to ensure every project lives up to Pixel Union's reputation for industry-leading quality.
All code at Pixel Union is peer-reviewed, and we look for developers who are able to clearly explain their technical choices. We encourage consistent and readable code, with a focus on maintainability.
Job Type / Category
As a Pixel Union dev you'll...
- Develop front-end code for Pixel Union's custom Shopify projects, based on the design requirements and project brief
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Organize and manage personal tasks on assigned projects
- Integrate and collaborate with back-end developers as project complexity dictates
- Ability and interest in learning new technologies and techniques
- Happy to align with shared coding standards, and eager to help shape future best practices
- Constantly seeking new ways to improve the development process, and able to share new knowledge with the team
- Comfortable collaborating with a design team and providing input on proposed features
- Interface with external development groups and 3rd party platforms, as needed
- Contribute to internal projects and planning discussions
- Develop reusable code and libraries for future use
- Develop documentation for code standards, and workflows
- Nurture our junior development team members with coaching, support and insight
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
You'll use your skills and experience in...
- 2 years of hands-on developing Shopify projects (custom themes, apps)
- Version control (Git)
- Written and verbal communication and ability to accurately estimate tasks, and not afraid to flag issues early
- Strong problem-solving abilities and self-management
- Attention to detail when replicating design while maintaining development best practices
- Recognizing development patterns in order to write more efficient/functional code
- Managing multiple projects with strict deadlines
- Familiarity with design tools such as Figma, InVision, Zeppelin
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and professional growth
- Sharing your passion about technology
If you have these skills that's a huge plus!
- Desire to learn the Liquid (Shopify) templating language and master the Shopify & Shopify Plus platform
- Experience with WordPress
- Great attitude, patience and focus
We provide themes, apps, and services to help entrepreneurs build, launch, and grow their online stores. Designing, developing, and supporting world-class products and services isn't just our goal—it's the bar we set for ourselves. We believe in working smarter by using the latest tools, technologies, and methods. We also believe in taking the time to appreciate where we've been, what we've learned, and how we've been successful.
As a team, we look out for each other, always seeking opportunities to grow personally and professionally. We believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace.
- Vacation -Start with three weeks of paid vacation, and an office closure between Christmas and New Year's
- Extended Health & Dental Insurance -We provide extended health coverage and encourage healthy living with a $500 annual health and wellness allowance
- 100% RRSP Matching -Pixel Union will match your RRSP contributions for up to 2% of your salary
- Paid Parental Leave -Pixel Union tops up parental leave coverage for up to 12 weeks. Spend time with your new family member!
- Remote-First & Flexible Schedules -As long as you have good wifi and overlap with office time by a few hours, you can work where and when you want. We're not watching, and we don't care if you're a night owl, an early riser, or a combination of both.
Job Type: Full-time