Pinnacle Dermatology is a fast-paced, growing Dermatology practice that is seeking a full-time Medical Assistant that will assist the provider(s) with patient care. They will create an atmosphere that reflects the level of standards and care that patients can expect to receive from this practice. The provider(s) entrusts the goodwill of patients to the medical assistant, therefore extending the provider’s relationship with the patient.
To be successful in this position, the medical assistant must be cheerful, friendly, polite, tactful, and professional in appearance and manner at all times. They will be able to communicate with the provider and patient and be mindful of patient confidentiality. They will be able to evaluate and respond to a patient’s needs and relay the doctor’s instructions. The successful medical assistant will be a team player and respectful of their co-workers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- As assigned, but not limited to the following:
- Fulfill patient care responsibilities as assigned, assist doctor with patient care.
- Escort patient to and from exam room, help patient prepare for exam. Review Health History to make sure it is complete and updated.
- Clean/straighten exam room and empty laundry bin between patients.
- Organize patient flow according to protocol (as scheduled with any late appts working into the schedule on providers discretion)
- Assure smooth patient flow by prioritizing the following: rooming patients; taking appropriate patient histories, setting up room for anticipated procedures; sterilizing used instruments, preparing an adequate supply of surgical trays; anticipating provider(s) needs; assisting provider(s) during exams and procedures, and returning patient/pharmacy calls in a timely manner.
- Procedure tray, instrument, and equipment set-up according to instructions. Able to numb patient as directed by the provider.
- Prepare path/lab specimens per protocol; complete path/lab requisition forms accurately and completely; document specimens in path log.
- Review pathology and lab results with patients per provider’s instructions.
- Document visit in EMR clearly and accurately as directed.
- Respond to patient questions in office and on phone as instructed.
- Schedule surgical procedure appointments on computer as necessary.
- Phone prescriptions and refills to pharmacy according per provider’s instructions.
- Be familiar and compliant with OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standards.
- Clean, sterilize, and inventory all medical equipment and instruments. Keep appropriate records of maintenance program.
- Maintain medication samples and discard out-of-date supplies.
- Maintain infection control policies of office.
- Upkeep and cleanliness of exam rooms, supply cabinets, and drawers always well stocked.
- Ordering, sorting, storing, restocking, and inventory of all medical supplies.
- Document all medical instructions given to patients.
- Knowledgeable and compliant of HIPPA privacy standards.
- Knowledgeable of all products and procedures in office. Be able to explain both to patients.
- Be knowledgeable of office financial policies and fees.
- Obtaining preauthorization for medications required.
- Schedule appointments for patients with other specialists, fax appropriate records if necessary.
- Help with office housekeeping duties as directed.
- Check and maintain eye wash station weekly
- Other duties as assigned by Clinical Manager or Practice Administrator
- High school graduate. Formal medical assisting training preferred.
- Completion of a formal medical assisting program and internship or 1-2 years of recent experience in a medical office, preferably in a Dermatology Practice
- Knowledgeable of medical terminology and CPT and ICD-10 codes.
- Basic computer knowledge, able to operate standard office equipment.
- Must be able to speak clearly and make self understood to the patient
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Able to add, subtract, multiple, divide and use number fractions.
- Able to read and understand graphs.
- Able to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with others.
- Able to prioritize tasks, understand the provider’s instructions, and know when to seek additional information or advice.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, MS Word, MS Outlook software