Working Title: Accountant 1
Location: 509 East Avenue South, Clearwater, FL 33756
** ONLY PINELLAS COUNTY GOVERNMENT UNIFIED PERSONNEL SYSTEM PERMANENT & PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEES MAY APPLY **
This is highly responsible accounting work in the maintenance, review, processing and auditing of financial records and reports. An employee in this class maintains accounts or ensures accounts are in compliance with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. Duties may also include computerized processing, which may include Oracle or other relational databases, maintenance, reporting, and analysis of complex financial records. Work may involve assistance in development of procedures or techniques to meet specialized needs of the department. Duties may include supervising subordinate clerical personnel. Duties are performed in accordance with County laws and established policy and procedures.
Minimum Qualifications Requirements
- 5 years’ experience of experience in recognized accountant work; or
- Associate’s degree (or 2 years of other related college level education) plus 3 years of experience as an accountant; or
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or other related field plus 1 year of experience in accountant work; or
- Master’s or higher- level degree in accounting, finance, business or other related; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
Illustrative Tasks (These are examples and are not all inclusive.)
- Prepares, monitors and verifies data in Oracle, Excel or other accounting bases.
- Prepares financial statements, procedures, journal vouchers, purchase requisitions and change orders in a multi-fund/multi-account environment while adhering to contracts, policies and procedures.
- Performs Accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
- Assists with development, preparation and monitoring the department budget
- Reviews, audits and approves I-Expense.
- Extracts reports and monitors financial data through various modules of the financial accounting system for internal controls and data integrity.
- Develop, coordinate and implement work standards, methods, improvements, assessment, testing and evaluation of financial processes, procedures, and practices.
- Serves as back-up to co-workers and assist in training new employees as to correct methods and procedures to follow.
- Researches and conducts studies to make recommendations to management.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of laws, rules and regulations controlling budgetary record keeping for government agencies.
- Knowledge of auditing methods, practices and procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work under pressure with heavy workloads.
- Ability to analyze transactions, identify errors and make adjusting journal entries when necessary.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of employees, vendors and customers orally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare accounting reports and statements.