Employment Type: Contract
Job Purpose: Responsible for Product Validation; ensure products being tested meet or exceed applicable safety standards, and internal (WSL) performance, appearance and durability requirements.
Supports New Product Development by participating in all aspects of new product design, development, fabrication, assembly and testing. Additionally provides input as part of a cross functional team to aid in the resolution of field issues with current and past production units.
- Perform performance & validation testing; including but not limited to:
o Input Rates, leakage, Combustion, surface, enclosure and component temperatures, P.4, BOC’s, POC’s, Delayed Ignition, Wind, and Durability. Proficient at 5G3 Emission testing, (specialized skill – some candidates).
o CSA/UL Standard, drop test, airflow, speed voltage/current testing, control logic and function, PCB and electronical component/sub assembly testing etc.
o Validation of technical documentation; including assembly, installation and service procedures for appliances and accessories.
- Accurately using and calibrating, R&D equipment; including but not limited to:
o Mechanical: Data acquisition, Combustion Analyzer, Thermometers, Thermocouples, Voltmeters, Manometers, Flow Meters, Thermesthesiometer, IR Gun, IR Camera, Camera and 5G3.
o Electrical: Digital Multimeter, (voltage, current, resistance, continuity, etc.), Electrical safety compliance tester, (hipot dielectric, ground bond, resistance tester, megger, etc.), function generator, oscilloscope, clamp ammeter, leakage current tester, power analyzer, ac / dc fixed and variable power supplies.
- Data collection, analysis and reporting focusing on accuracy and completeness. Storing all raw data, photographs, processed data, videos, reports etc. correctly in company testing project folders. Appropriately recording, analyzing and interpreting results to generate appropriate conclusions and recommendations.
- Effectively collaborate with project / production coordinators for product reviews, (DFM, DFA, DFI, DFS), benchmarking (competitors and existing products), design review, testing reviews and in doing so provide relevant data, recommendations and conclusions regarding manufacturability, performance, cost reduction or durability.
- Where applicable collaborate with QA to provide support for root cause analysis.
- Sheet Metal Layout and Fabrication: Creating hand sketches for self or others to use for the purpose of making sample parts, limited prototypes and communicating changes to project coordinators or designers. Producing sample parts from sketches using R&D equipment.
- Build and assemble prototype units: Assemble prototypes from production parts, prototype, or modified components or samples. Modify parts as required for prototypes using a variety of techniques.
- Consistently report relevant findings and new information in company ‘Lessons Learned’ spreadsheet / database with a view to improve future products and/or test procedures.
- Planning daily, weekly and monthly work for assigned projects based on timing deadlines and test input from project coordinators. Including determining the time and materials required to complete; where necessary informing the project coordinator regarding constraints, resources required and recommendations to ensure on time completion at reasonable cost. Meet assigned deadlines, where necessary taking corrective actions to recover lost time or use of preapproved overtime.
- Safe use and operation, (where applicable after training), of R&D construction equipment. Including but not limited to: Welder, Plasma Cutter, Band Saw, Drill Press, Glass Cutter, Belt Sander, Bench Grinder, Paint Booth operation, Paint Storage, Metal Shear, Metal Break etc.
- Power Tools: Disc Grinder, Drills, Air Nailer, Air riveters, Jig Saw, Sawzall, and Circular Saw etc.
- Hand tools: driver/gum etc.
- Safe operation of forklift, (where licensed and authorized)
- Use of company prescribed health and safety equipment appropriate for the tool and/or work area.
- Ensuring a safe and professional work area is maintained, including proper storage of all tools and equipment, work area to be clean, well-organized and presentable on a daily basis, considering the application of 5S. Promptly identify safety concerns to lab project coordinator, supervisor and or manager and advise other associates in the event of observing unsafe practices.
- Undertake certification testing for assigned projects in collaboration with project coordinator and 3rd party testing agency ensuring a focus on correct testing methods and procedures to the relevant standard.
- General Daily responsibilities:
o Be on time and adequately prepared for all meetings
o Work to the project direction of their assigned PC or Technology manager during product development
o Report SR&ED time and materials weekly
o Keep Task Board up to date
o Know companies monthly core value and how it is intended to be applied
o Dress code in effect
o Technical Support for Production Department
o Maintain and Calibrate Lab Equipment
o Work independently or in conjunction with Hearth R&D team, Review and Update Work Instructions and Forms
o Provide occasional support for sample / show set-up for events within the company and at third party locations.
Education & Experience:
- College Diploma in Engineering Technology or equivalent and/or Directly Related Experience
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience, ideally as Engineering Technician/Technologist, 5 years with Directly Related Experience in gas or HVAC products and applications and/or sheet metal manufacturing including product assembly.
- Required: Blue Print reading. Gas/Wood: G3 or WETT (to be completed within 2 years) National Fireplace Institute (NFI) gas, wood and/or pellet (superior candidates), G2 (superior candidate).
- HVAC: ODP Certificate
- Microsoft Office, (strong excel is a recognized asset; i.e. data analysis, charting, macros, formula, etc.), Visual, Internet Research Skills, Solidworks fundamentals (is an asset), Labview (superior candidates)
- Specialized Skills: Welder/Fitter (preferred), SolidWorks Fundamentals (preferred), GD&T Tolerance, WSL Forklift License (preferred), trained in problem solving, DFMEA, risk assessment six sigma (superior candidates)
- Demonstrated knowledge of AC/DC fundamentals, DC circuity, PCB and power calculations for electrical technicians.
- HVAC: Clear understanding of refrigeration cycles, brazing, charging systems, refrigeration piping, layout, AC circuitry up to 600 volts.