41 Fraser Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M6K1Y7
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
Why is this role important?
The Senior Surface Designer is an expert in translating creative direction into surface design. The Surface Designer must have the capabilities to create art with different techniques, including watercolor painting and computer-generated illustrations. A strong knowledge of color selection for a variety of substrates. Overall understanding of designing for Homewares. Under the direction of the Lead - Senior Manager Surface Design, the Surface Designer is responsible for the creation, implementation and revision of designs for products ranging from seasonal to inline assortments within the Home department. The ideal candidate will bring our brands to life with their surface design expertise.
- Create designs including graphic patterns, icons, textures, and watercolor paintings to be applied to products including home textiles, tabletop and paper goods - with full capabilities of surface treatments and repeat patterns.
- Ability to take direction, refine concepts, and initiate improvements.
- Own the creative process from conceptualization to production.
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager and team members on projects and offer creative solutions to design challenges.
- Ability to understand Loblaw’s Brand attributes and interpret them creatively.
- Adherence to the control brand milestone calendar and effective on-time delivery of completed projects. This requires a mature sense of urgency and clear understanding of efficiencies and focus.
- Effectively communicate and present cohesive ideas to Senior Manager and other senior members of the business.
- Ensure all internal project files are created and filed correctly as per studio standards.
- Develop the external specification package for vendors with extreme accuracy.
- Responsible for receiving and checking initial vendor samples against specs and making initial comments in coordination with the Product Manager.
- Help distribute and organize samples back to product managers and maintain efficiencies of the sample drop-off space.
- Maintain and catalogue all incoming materials for the studio.
- Maintain internal pattern/print library.
- Frequently visit our stores to produce product spec audits, as well as competitor locations for trend inspiration and awareness of the market.
- Diploma/Degree in Illustration, Graphic Design or related field
- 5+ years of work-related studio experience
- Excellent Adobe CS skills: Especially in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Ability to paint, sketch, and draw out original artwork
- Strong communication skills, team-player attitude and ability to self-manage
- Must be able to multi task and work well under pressure
- Have an eye for design and is detail oriented
- Must be a problem solver, have a strong work ethic and have the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to interpret direction and inspiration imagery into unique artwork for programs
- Must have a strong understanding of the legalities surrounding proprietary design
- Fashion forward and design savvy with a great understanding of mass retail, specifically in Home.
How You’ll Succeed:
At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Type of Role:
Loblaw recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.