1 Presidents Choice Circle, Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 5S5
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
Why is this role important?
Reports to: Vice President, Controller
The role of the Senior Director, Financial Reporting is to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Company’s consolidated financial results and external financial reporting, to lead, coach and develop employees, to act as a technical accounting resource for the organization and to lead special projects and ad hoc analysis as required.
- Oversee the consolidation of the Company’s financial results, including the preparation of variance analysis and the reporting of results to senior management
- Oversee the preparation and external audit of the Company’s quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements and notes
- Oversee the preparation of the Company’s quarterly and annual Management’s Discussion and Analysis (“MD&A”)
- Oversee the preparation of legal entity financial statements and the maintenance of clean legal entity general ledgers
- Partner with various departments, including George Weston Limited, in order to:
- assess the accounting and reporting implications of business and strategic initiatives, ad hoc and non-routine transactions
- assess and implement new accounting standards
- complete the notes to the financial statements and MD&A
- prepare and deliver an internal professional development program
- Lead and support a large team in the achievement of the above
- Prepare various Disclosure Committee and Audit Committee materials
- Act as a technical accounting advisory contact for all levels of the organization
- Perform research and analysis, and present results of findings on various ad-hoc technical accounting issues
- Establish, develop and maintain constructive, collaborative relationships within the department and across the organization
- Maintain the Loblaw Financial Policy Manual
- Special projects as required
- CPA, CA designation
- Minimum 7 years of experience in external financial reporting at a public company, including 5 years of management experience
- Strong leadership and ability to develop employees, provide guidance, direction and training, transfer knowledge and promote a positive working environment
- Solid technical accounting knowledge and the ability to interpret complex technical accounting issues and implement practical solutions
- Previous experience working with IFRS and OSC Continuous Disclosure requirements
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deliverables concurrently
- Drive for continuous improvement, leveraging and adapting system functionality and challenging existing processes
- Strong strategic skills, including the ability to leverage resources (people, processes, departments, tools) and collaborate to complete objectives effectively and efficiently
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills, including the ability to independently and collaboratively gather, formulate and analyze data to support recommendations to senior management
- Excellent research skills and written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to confidently and effectively interact with all levels of the organization and to build strong working relationships in a team-oriented, deadline driven environment
How You’ll Succeed:
At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Type of Role:
Loblaw recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.