1 Presidents Choice Circle, Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 5S5
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
Why is this role important?
All of our Loblaw control labels and brands make us proud because they follow our philosophy of taking something good and making it better – and that’s what our customers expect when they shop in our stores. It’s been true since the introduction of The Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookie, and it’s still true today, with our PC Blue Menu and PC Organics products. We market our control label products in the food, health and beauty, apparel and general merchandise categories under brand names that include President’s Choice, PC, No Name, Blue Menu, Joe Fresh, Club Pack, PC Organics, Life Brand and Exact.
With a passion for creating a distinct and memorable tasting experience for our customers. You will work closely with our experienced team of chefs in the PC Test Kitchen! You will develop and test new and existing raw ingredients, finalize recipes and reap the rewards of seeing your unique creations on our store shelves.
This role is a key stakeholder in the innovation process. A strong culinary background is required as well as insight into global industry developments and food trends to deliver customer driven market leading innovation.
This role is responsible for the development of product including technical, formulation and sensory validation. Development is focused on supporting category objectives and leading consumer driven innovation into the market. This role works closely with the Vendors, Product Manager and Category Management to identify opportunities, direction and bring product concepts to life. Key to this role: Industry specific manufacturing and production knowledge, the ability to define internal constraints and vendor capabilities and fundamental technical knowledge of assigned categories. This role also is responsible for establishing specification standards for new products and ensuring that appropriate controls are in place to deliver those standards consistently to our customer.
- Work closely with our team of experts to develop and test new and existing ingredients, develop and finalize recipes and pass the sensory approval process.
- Develop an understanding current and future food and industry trends. Apply and share this knowledge in the development and planning process.
- Review product portfolio on an ongoing basis to ensure relevance and best quality in marketplace. As required take steps to optimize portfolio by addressing code date and product performance issues. Make recommendations through the product lifecycle process to optimize existing offering.
- Work with Product Manager to provide detailed briefs to vendors and clear product developmet targets and timelines. Work with vendors through all stages of the development process to ensure concept to execution (C2E) targets are met. Work with the Product Development team to ensure brand and project targets are being met and provide clear and directive feedback to vendor to ensure project remains on track and address sidebar concerns
- Attend plant trials and support first productions in order to optimize the product development process and take corrective actions to ensure products deliver to targets and understand variability of process and work with vendor to develop clear standards including targets and acceptable product ranges
- On-time management of critical Product Development control points related to project management and contribute to the total team on time delivery through collaboratively managing timelines and taking corrective actions to deliver the overall product plan, while ensuring product standard and targets are met
- Present new products to the Loblaw Brands Management team and to the broader organization to drive understanding of product concept and unique product attributes and overall product context/historical understanding
- Development of new product specifications and ensure appropriate process controls are in place for the ongoing delivery of product standards
- Regularly attend relevant trade shows and courses to continuously develop and remain current on latest trends and technology and functional developments in order to build category knowledge and address potential concept challenges
- Post-secondary university degree
- Minimum 4-7 years’ experience in a product development or quality assurance role with a focus on meat industry expertise and experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Strong technical skills
- Excellent analytical skills, highly organized and ability to prioritize projects and tasks
- Advanced understanding and knowledge of product formulations, manufacturing, packaging and testing applications
- Require basic knowledge of applicable government regulations
- Excellent oral/written communication skills, interpersonal skills and relationship management
- Work effectively as an individual with minimal supervision and as a team member
- Able to influence and interact effectively with all levels at retail/distribution, vendor and office locations
- Creative problem solving skills
- Straightforward practical way of thinking about things or dealing with problems
- Results oriented
- Travel will be required and will include local, national and international
How You’ll Succeed:
At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Type of Role:
Loblaw recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.