3225 - 12th Street N.E., Calgary, Alberta, T2E 7S9
The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you.
Why is this role important?
Candidate must have a Planning background with 3 years + experience
Location – Calgary, AB - Office Position
- Provide Planning and Development assistance to the Legal, Real Estate and Construction Departments as part of the due diligence process for prospective land transactions. This typically involves the determination of Municipal requirements (zoning, development fees, off-site costs, restrictions, etc.), the development of preliminary design drawings and the review of potential agreements.
- Manage the design and Municipal approval process for new stores, renovations, conversions, and ancillary developments in Western Canada. This process typically involves:
- Assemble and manage the appropriate team of consultants (Planning, Traffic, Civil Engineer, Surveyor, Landscape, Architectural and additional consultants based on specific job related issues) to prepare municipal submission applications within established budgets
- Review of design drawings prepared by the consulting team
- Coordination of all Municipal applications (Development Permit etc.) with internal Loblaw staff, the consulting team and the landowner/landlord.
- Conduct meetings with Municipal Staff, Politicians and Local Ratepayers
- Make presentations to Municipal Committees and Council as required
- Negotiate the details of all required on-site and off-site municipal approvals with Municipal Staff
- Initiate the preparation of legal municipal agreements
- Provide support during the Building Permit application process in order to ensure that all Municipal requirements are addressed and a permit is issued in a timely matter
- Work with the Construction Department during the development phase in order to guarantee that the project is completed as per Municipal approval
- Assist the Construction Department during the preparation of all project budgets particularly with the provision of costs related to municipal applications (development charges/levies, building permit fees, off-site costs, landscape requirements, etc.)
- Liase with the Real Estate Department to ensure that all vendor or landlord requirements are realized during the development phase.
- Manage consultant resources in order to ensure overall efficiency and delivery of the Capital Plan within targeted budgets.
- Manage the approvals and execution component of the annual Garden Centre Program.
- Assist in the reduction of outstanding Letters of Credit Loblaw has posted with various Municipalities.
- Research and track development applications that are relevant and potentially impactful to Loblaw.
- Work with internal Operations Department in identifying and resolving possible impacts to the Loblaw business resulting from Landlord and/or Government initiatives and projects.
- 3 years minimum experience in Planning and Development, preferably in a municipal approvals role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Applied Geography or related field.
- Member or eligible for membership to the Canadian Institute of Planners.
- The position is located at our LCL Western Canada office, Calgary.
How You’ll Succeed:
At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.
Type of Role:
Loblaw recognizes Canada's diversity as a source of national pride and strength. We have made it a priority to reflect our nation’s evolving diversity in the products we sell, the people we hire, and the culture we create in our organization. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.