Position: SETTLEMENT PRACTITIONER, YOUTH SETTLEMENT SERVICES
Department: IMMIGRANT SERVICES
Hours: 35 hours per week
Monday - Thursday 12:00 - 8:00pm, Friday - 8:30am - 4:30pm
This position is responsible to provide support to immigrant youth ages 3 to 25 and their families in Lethbridge and to help reduce racism, discrimination and ethnic conflict in the Canadian school systems.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Providing coordinated service to school personnel, immigrant students and their parents.
- Developing personalized settlement plans within the school setting in coordination with teachers, students (at the secondary levels), parents and guardians.
- Providing in depth orientation to Canadian school culture and expectations for the newcomer parents and students.
- Arranging for interpreter service for parent teacher interviews and any other initial interaction within the school.
- Ensure regular communication with all stakeholders.
- Work closely with other Immigrant Services department staff in case management and client referrals.
- Assist with the coordination of special events.
- Attend community meetings as approved by supervisor(s).
- Complete all necessary client and agency documentation.
- Take responsibility for documentation within client files as assigned through the Continuous Quality Initiative (C.Q.I.).
- An undergraduate degree and/or diploma in the areas of Education, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Human Services or another related discipline and/or previous and relevant experience within the settlement and/or educational sector.
- Must have excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Extensive knowledge of community resource networks.
- Multiple language facility is a considerable asset.
- Possess a valid drivers' license, appropriate insurance/registration, and a reliable vehicle.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a Police Information Check.
Job Type: Full-time
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- Drivers License (Class 5) (Required)