The Senior Executive Assistant in the President’s Office is responsible for supporting the work and activities of both the President and the Board of Governors. S/he serves as a point of contact for internal and external constituents and works directly with the President and CEO, Board of Governors, Executive Leadership Team, the Senior Advisor and the Director of External Relations and Community Engagement on strategic and operational priorities for the President and Board of Governors. S/he maintains confidentiality of sensitive information received from the President and CEO, Board of Governors, and Executive Leadership Team ranging from staff issues to economic or political issues impacting the college and is an important information resource for the President and CEO, Board Chair, Board Members and the Executive Leadership Team.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Senior Executive Assistant is responsible for the effective operations of the President’s Office while working in a professional, collegial and collaborative manner. S/he also coordinates and implements, as required, the planning and organization of key college-wide and board events, aligning event strategy with college, government and public relations priorities.
The Senior Executive Assistant serves as an ambassador for the college and additionally will represent the President’s office in committee work and special projects as assigned.
- Supports the President and CEO in a manner that allows for the most strategic use of her/his time through the effective management and implementation of day-to-day operations.
- Provides full support to the Board of Governors in its strategic work to ensure it aligns with college, government and external stakeholder priorities.
- Cultivates and maintains positive working relationships with internal and external college stakeholders.
- Participates in the development and/or implementation of employee engagement and communication strategies
- Acts as an ambassador for Lethbridge College, representing the President and CEO and Board of Governors at various internal and external committees and events as required with a high degree of professionalism and tact.
- Navigates competing priorities and relationships to ensure strategic goals are achieved in a timely manner.
- Acts as a conduit of information regarding the internal and external college community for the President and CEO.
- Works with the President and CEO, Board of Governors, Executive Leadership Team, Senior Advisor and Director of External Relations and Community Engagement on identifying the key elements of an annual work plan in the President’s office which are aligned with the performance goals of the President and CEO.
- Oversees the President and CEO’s calendar and works with the Senior Advisor to ensure it appropriately reflects strategic leadership and internal and external relations priorities.
- Ensures the President and CEO is well prepared in advance of meetings, speaking events and other engagement opportunities.
- Supports and accompanies the President and CEO on internal and external stakeholder meetings as required.
- Coordinates all travel requirements for the President and CEO.
- Assists with the implementation of employee engagement strategy as it relates to the President and CEO.
- Completes or facilitates the completion of travel claims, credit card reconciliations and expense disclosures for the President and CEO.
- Researches, prioritizes and follows up as appropriate on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the President and CEO and/or Board of Governors, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Initiates or facilitates the processing of contracts, purchase requisitions and workflows on behalf of the President and CEO.
Board of Governors
- Develops an annual work plan and schedule for the Board and its committees based in part on legislative and other external reporting requirements, while identifying emerging priorities and resolving conflicts.
- Facilitates and/or advises the board and its officials on the Board’s governance role and on Board meeting protocols
- Works with the appropriate government ministry to ensure procedures and documentation align with government standards and guidelines
- Provides secretarial support to the Board including preparation of agendas and dissemination of meeting minutes.
- Submits, under the signature of the Board Chair to the Government of Alberta, approved legislative requirements such as the Comprehensive Institutional Plan, the Annual Report, and the Mandate and Roles Document.
- Assists with committee work such as Board succession planning, Board evaluation, Board orientation and Board budget development and monitoring.
- Coordinates all travel arrangements for Board members.
Executive Leadership Team
- Provides administrative support to the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) which can include compiling agenda packages and recording minutes of meetings.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline and 3-5 years’ experience in a post-secondary environment or relevant experience working with executive leadership and external stakeholders; combination of education and experience may be considered
- Strong technical skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Able to work with a team or independently, with attention to detail and consciously attending to guidelines, performance standards and policies
- Strong organizational skills, collaborative and relationship development skills, with the ability to effectively work with multiple and emerging priorities
- Able to exercise tact, diplomacy, discretion and a high degree of professionalism under varying conditions while maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders and exercise positive influence where possible
- Strong customer service skills and sensitive to protocol requirements and cultural norms
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills
- Project management skills and experience
- Results focused with a keen ability to exercise rational, and independent judgement in decision making
- Basic accounting and financial literacy skills