The primary role of this position is to develop, establish and implement the overall strategic business plan for development and alumni engagement with the end goal to maximize institutional growth and reinforce an already solid internal and external reputation.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Advancement, the Director is accountable for the development of strategic planning in relation to development and alumni engagement and operational realization of those plans. They will work closely with the College Leadership Council (CLC) on building a campus-wide culture of philanthropy.
- In conjunction with external advisory committees including Alumni Advisory Council, establishes goals and objectives for the advancement efforts, including the annual giving campaign, events, student awards, capital, and endowment needs.
- Develops development plans and related budgets for the organization and executes activities from the plan.
- Works collaboratively with the President’s Office, other leaders within Advancement, CLC, Deans’ Council, and other college departments and alumni.
- Chairs the Prospect Management Committee (PMC) which will manage, coordinate, and prioritize all major gift prospects (a gift request of> $5,000).
- Manages the prospect development process (identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, recognition and stewardship) of individuals and organizations that are major or planned gifts prospects.
- Leads front-line major gift fundraising efforts of the college and oversees major gift fundraising efforts of direct reports.
- Manages a personal portfolio of leadership gift prospects.
- Serves as a liaison to the External Relations Committee (Board of Governors) and fulfills assignments as requested.
- Provides oversight to the Alumni Advisory Council.
- Provides oversight to the event committees (E.g., Golf Tournament, Wine Auction, Honouring Excellence, Coulee Fest).
- Coordinates and implements a planned giving marketing program.
- Oversees processing of all gifts by development staff to ensure compliance with college policies and procedures and applicable legislative requirements.
- Oversees donor relations and stewardship on behalf of the College.
- Oversees information systems & management, assessment & benchmarking.
- Oversees the coordination and execution of scholarships.
- Manages web content for the area in collaboration with Marketing and Web Services.
- Leads special projects as assigned by executive leadership.
- Be an active, contributing member of the leadership team within the Advancement office.
- Promote the organization’s image through participation in various outside organizations and industry associations, seminars, and conferences.
- Establish, develop, and maintain new and ongoing partnerships with internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders regarding joint initiatives.
- Negotiate contracts for services, approve invoices, maintain financial records, prepare or review final billings.
- Provide leadership to development & alumni staff; provide opportunities for personal & professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five to ten years of relevant experience, with demonstrated judgment and leadership in both managerial and administrative matters.
- Experience in various types of prospect research, stewardship and special events.
- Have a proven track record of creating collaborative partnerships with a variety of organizations.
- Working knowledge of post-secondary education processes and procedures is considered a valuable asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- The individual should possess excellent communications and consultation skills, project management skills, and have a working knowledge of current educational issues while maintaining high ethical standards to support professional business code of conduct.
- Demonstrates initiative, resourcefulness, problem-solving abilities and results orientation; critical thinker.
- Knowledge of fund development best practices and industry standards.
- Knowledge of information systems to ensure the technology needs are met, including advanced-level knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce software.
- Leadership, management and supervisory experience, as well as proven ability to influence.
- Can forecast, prepare, monitor and control budgets.
- Innate ability to read and manage perceptions and expectations; possess effective coaching skills and strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to build an organization through effective recruitment, training and motivation.
- Accepts ownership and accountability and possesses a high level of integrity.
- Outgoing and engaging.
- Embraces change.
- Natural mentor.
- Strong work ethic.
- CFRE designation.
- Experience fundraising in a post-secondary environment.