Kiva is the world's first and largest crowdfunding platform for social good. We run an online marketplace (www.kiva.org) for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to expand financial access at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: "Loans that change lives."
Our mission is to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7+ million borrowers in over 80 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Portland, New York City, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Internship Program ( http://www.kiva.org/internvolunteers/internprogram )
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva's foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you'll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Through this volunteer internship, we're hoping to provide a high caliber learning experience. With the completion of our internship program, you will take away many in-demand job skills. Additionally, all Kiva interns will gain exposure to foundational microfinance concepts and ongoing professional development tailored to your career goals. This position will also put you in contact with a wide array of employees around the world, giving you a jump start on networking opportunities.
Kiva Internships are 6-month, part-time (24 to 32 hours per week), volunteer positions. This position is located in our San Francisco, CA office.
Placement Process ( http://www.kiva.org/internvolunteers/internprogram/apply )
Kiva places interns within most departments of the organization. During recruitment, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a "can do" attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty.
Kiva is currently hiring for our January through July 2020 Internship Class.
The Impact team is responsible for defining, measuring, analyzing, and sharing the social impact of Kiva, for both internal and external stakeholders. As Kiva continues to refine its model, the Impact team also plays a central role in testing and evaluating loan innovation toward deeper impact, at scale -- an initiative known as Kiva Labs.
Kiva Impact Interns will conduct varied desk research and data analysis in order to help inform Kiva's operations and strategy with an impact lens.
- Conduct and organizing literature reviews to ensure Kiva has an informed, evidence-based perspective on each investment
- Collect & analyze secondary data sources to help Kiva's impact investing strategy
- Preparation of data collection tools for quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Support data analysis for key business questions around risk, cost, impact, and product design
- Data cleaning and data management
- Preparation of tables and figures for communication of research results
- Writing for communication of Kiva's investment strategy to Kiva staff & external partners
- Testing and refining impact metrics
- Creating dashboard visualizations of key impact-related measurements
- Support program management and administration, including work with project manager to monitor budgets, develop work plans, and maintain files and information
- Experience in a research or data driven field such as economics, business, sociology, psychology, political science, etc.
- Enthusiasm for creative problem solving in complex environments
- Able to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Flexible and able to contribute to multiple projects simultaneously, with the ability to meet deadlines
- Comfortable managing complexity, ambiguity and change
- Demonstrated ability in quantitative data management and analysis, report writing and editing, and visual presentation of research findings
- Experience reading and communicating the results of academic research
- Experience working with survey data
- Experience in microcredit/microfinance and other financial products, economic empowerment and/or monitoring and evaluation
- Familiarity with statistical analysis & relevant software (R, Python, Stata, or SPSS)
- Familiarity with data visualization tools (Looker, Tableau, Excel Charts)
- Start-up, social enterprise, NGO, or private sector experience
- Professional development and skills workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva's network of Kiva Fellowship and Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and occasional baked goods
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
Kiva's Internship is a volunteer position, however, to help offset transportation and other expenses, Kiva will provide a modest stipend of $800 a month (before taxes) to its volunteers. Please note that the stipend is considered taxable income and we expect interns to do their own research as to how this may affect their personal/tax implications.
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is 24 to 32 hours per week, from January 22nd, 2020 to July 31st, 2020. Please make sure you have the availability to commit for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!