Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Kiva combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: "Loans that change lives." In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month and Kiva is poised to take its initial success to a whole new level. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 300+ volunteers worldwide.
As a Front End Engineer, you will join an established team at Kiva during an exciting time of growth and innovation. The ideal candidate is passionate about both our organizational mission and high standards in engineering. Effective communication is among the most important tools in your toolbox. You are always looking at how things can be improved and examine problems from all angles.
This role will be based in San Francisco or Portland and will report to the Engineering Director based in San Francisco. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization
- Work to create impactful and sustainable solutions to complex problems by taking bold and measured risks
- Balance your technical excellence with a high E.Q., showing up with a sense of empathy, awareness, and responsibility
- Share the knowledge you gain generously with your peers to perpetuate a culture of engineering excellence
- 3+ years of experience as a front end web developer
- 2+ years experience with a modern UI framework (eg: ReactJS, Redux, VueJS)
- Experience working with APIs (eg: graphQL, REST)
- Experience building responsive websites and progressive web apps
- Proficient with modern CSS resources (eg: SCSS, Foundation)
- Proficient in web development tools and debugging
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
What We Offer
- An amazing mission: Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe.
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world.
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues.
- Casual, comfortable and professional work environment
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!