Kiva is an international nonprofit working in more than 80 countries, with a mission of expanding financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We do this by crowdfunding loans for entrepreneurs, women and students on our kiva.org lending platform, and by addressing the underlying barriers to financial access around the world through innovative projects and partnerships. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and heart of a nonprofit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
About the role
Recently announced at the United Nations General Assembly, Kiva is partnering with the government of Sierra Leone and the United Nations to build a blockchain-based credit system that will unlock financial services for many of the world's poorest and most underbanked citizens. As a Front End Engineer, you'll be a foundational member of a new team developing technology to help populations across Sierra Leone (and ultimately the globe) escape poverty.
The ideal candidate takes initiative and is passionate about both our organizational mission and our high standards in engineering. We produce results by giving engineers full ownership and the resources they need to work efficiently.
This role will be based in San Francisco, Portland or Austin, and will report to the Executive Vice President of Engineering based in San Francisco. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Implement intuitive front-end solutions for audiences with limited exposure to technology
- Help foster a spirit of innovation and collaboration both within the engineering team and across the organization
- Develop light, efficient, optimized front-end code for geographies with limited bandwidth
- Juggle a desire to move quickly with a passion for maintainable, well-crafted code
- Communicate effectively, and willingly share creative ideas and solutions
- Have a strong sense of responsibility and problem ownership
- Understand the issues around designing & building reliable, scalable client-side software
- 3+ years of experience as a front end developer
- Experience building responsive websites and progressive web apps
- Proficient in web development tools for deployment, debugging and performance
- Familiarity with JS unit/e2e testing
- CS degree or equivalent work experience
What we offer
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.