The Product Formulator role will help develop the next breakthrough-cannabis product as well as improving existing formulations to meet process improvement or regulatory compliance goals. This person will engage with the marketing and innovation teams to understand consumer trends and participate in brainstorming sessions to create the next big idea in cannabis. They will utilize the experience gained in previous roles to create and refine formulations to take new product concepts through ideation to commercialization. Having a strong background in confectionery science is required. Some technical support of out-of-state licensing partners may also be required.
- Develop stable product formulas, mix and confirm formula in the lab.
- Manage technical aspects of new products and product improvement from concept to production (formulations, packaging, etc.).
- Prepare detailed product formula documentation and manufacturing SOPs for sourcing and commercialization purposes.
- Ensure formulations are high quality, cost effective, in line with brands standards and which meet regulatory standards.
- Adhere to and enforce Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and HACCP requirements.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all safety, food safety, environmental, GMP rules, regulations and policies under the guidance of the FSQA Manager.
- Follow all safety and environmental rules and regulations applicable to the position.
- Responsible for continuous improvement with respects to processing.
- Plant coordinator for the commercialization of new products and line extensions.
- Lead the lab technician team to test tabletop formulations.
- Any other duties as assigned by the R&D manager.
- Bachelor's or equivalent degree is required.
- Two (2) years of work-related experience in a confectionery environment.
- Advanced product development experience.
- Proficient in Excel, Google Docs.
- Fluent in English, read, write and speak is necessary.
- Excellent research skills and follow through is necessary to be successful.
- Multitasking and flexibility.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
- Understanding of allergens.
- Must have ability to maintain positive relationships with employees, customers and suppliers.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and have a sense of urgency as Kiva has shorter development times than most confectionary environments.
Research and Development:
4 years (Preferred)