Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job
Kite Pharma is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel cancer immunotherapy products designed to harness the power of a patient’s own immune system to selectively target and kill cancer cells. Our core technology involves the genetic engineering of T cells, or white blood cells, to express either chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) or T cell receptors (TCRs) for the treatment of advanced solid and hematological malignancies. We are on a rapid growth trajectory and have a highly energized and accomplished team.
The Sr. Director, IT - Digital, Commercial, & Patient Services serves as the strategic partner and trusted advisor for Kite’s Commercial functions and is accountable for identifying, qualifying, and driving digital transformation and adoption of technology solutions that deliver measurable business outcomes. The position will focus on building relationships with key Commercial stakeholders, developing multi-year capability roadmaps and influencing technology recommendations/decisions, ensuring technology investments are aligned with business and IT objectives, are scalable for future growth, and are designed to maximize utility across Kite’s business functions. This position is based in Santa Monica, CA.
This role will also act as a single point of business accountability for anything related to technology and ensuring appropriate functions within IT are mobilized to address any needs/issues. Effective partnership and teamwork with business partners and other IT service teams is a key success factor in achieving the desired business outcomes.
Successful candidates will have a background in the Commercial Operations of companies within the pharmaceutical, biotech or medical devices industries with a focus on the Information Technology capabilities and systems that facilitate a "best in class" Commercial organization. Embedded in that will be a digital mindset applied to customer and other stakeholder engagement initiatives. In addition, the candidate will have demonstrated experience working with cross-functional services groups, including IT, Quality, Compliance, Legal and the enterprise PMO, to ensure successful alignment, integration, and enablement of project delivery, technology architecture, compliance, application support and IT security capabilities that meet or exceed the regulatory and compliance standards expected within the pharmaceutical industry.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
This role will be accountable for, but not limited to, the following 7 key responsibilities:
1. Business Engagement
- Develop and sustain effective relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders, providing insights, thought leadership and guidance on changing industry landscape, opportunities to use existing technologies, clearly identifying business needs and championing through the portfolio & demand management process to achieve the desired business outcomes while adhering to enterprise IT standards & platforms.
- Strong background and ability to learn and talk "the language of the business". Focus of role is to understand desired business outcomes and work to leverage technology to either automate, improve, control or advance the business.
- Should be able to communicate with business stakeholders and be able to communicate complex solutions and value in business terms. Verbal communication skills are critical and ability to adapt and learn to changing business environment and domains is a must
- Ability to understand, contribute to and communicate business strategy and to promote the global/regional IT capabilities.
- Ability to establish a regular dialog with key business leaders about their strategic priorities and ongoing IT initiatives with potential regional impact.
2. Portfolio Planning and Delivery
- Partner with the Enterprise Project Management Office (ePMO) in prioritizing business-specific demand as part of portfolio planning process.
- Align with the Commercial business strategy and provide input into, and assist in the maintenance of a three-year IT roadmap that aligns with key objectives of the business organizations and stakeholders.
- Participate in annual and off-cycle project intake and planning.
- Drive execution and ensure successful delivery of projects by leading/managing delivery resources (internal and external).
3. Business Analysis
- Develop deep and broad business, functional and domain knowledge to enhance IT’s effectiveness of aligning business outcomes with technology solutions.
- Ensure effective business process and requirements analysis is conducted to serve as a critical input into the software delivery lifecycle.
- Be the SME and provide leadership for the delivery teams.
- Ensure effective consultation with business partners in exploring and applying innovative outside-in solution ideas to address business opportunities and challenges.
4. Business Architecture and Design
- Collaborate with other IT leads to have input into and maintenance of the global IT business architecture plan.
- Build credible relationships with key strategic vendors that align with defined business architecture blueprint and objectives.
- Partner effectively with other Solution Delivery IT leaders to identify potential shared platform solutions that can be leveraged across multiple business areas/regions to minimize redundant solutions.
6. Solution Transition and Operations
- Ensure the operational reliability and performance of all developed solutions prior to transitioning into production through assisting in user acceptance testing and review of various production transition plans.
- Partner effectively with the relevant operations team to ensure that all solutions are adequately supported.
7. General Leadership and Management
- Ensure effective leadership, teamwork and collaboration with other IT directors, managers and staff across IT to achieve a unified and responsive IT services approach to the Business.
- Ensure proper inspection readiness, adherence to compliance and business continuity planning at all times.
- Lead continuous improvements to drive IT effectiveness with the Business and IT.
- Manage internal personnel, external partners and departmental budgets for on-time and on-budget delivery.
Knowledge, experience, skills:
- Role will participate heavily in strategy definition and lead the design of high level solutions and provide necessary business context into technical design discussions while working within defined enterprise architecture and platform standards.
- Kite is an execution-based culture and the successful candidate must be able to stay engaged in delivery and be accountable for driving execution.
- Apply business strategy while driving technology decisions, balancing short term and long term needs to ensure that the architecture can scale and evolve to the changing needs of the business.
- Support technical implementation activities by collaborating on functional requirements and design, provide inputs to cost and timeline estimation, and assist in the management and communication to Kite’s stakeholders.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the Commercial business and related functions in the Biotech industry: patient assistance hubs, call center operations, sales force effectiveness & CRM, master data management (MDM), document review and approval processes (PRC & MRC), Marketing Automation, digital innovation, etc.
- Work experience and strong knowledge of end-to-end IT software and systems solution delivery from idea conception, design, development and/or configuration, and transition into production support and maintenance.
- Knowledge and experience working with Salesforce Community Cloud & Service Cloud, Veeva suite, analytics platforms, non-personal promotion as well as other technologies supporting various aspects of the Commercial business.
- Knowledge of working in a managed services delivery paradigm based on business outcomes.
- Demonstrated relationship savvy in building effective trusted advisor relationships with business partners and IT alike using effective relationship-building, negotiation, mediation and influencing skills.
- Ability to lead and manage a team of senior IT professionals under conditions of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Proven organizational savvy in working across organizational boundaries and reporting lines.
- Demonstrated discipline, analytical skills, problem-solving abilities and attention to detail.
- Independent, self-motivated, self-managing, proactive and responsive with a bias for action and results.
- Good verbal and written communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Experience and capabilities in accurate budgeting, forecasting and portfolio management.
- Experience with Cloud solutions (AWS, Azure) are encouraged.
- Certifications in Salesforce.com are a plus.
- Minimum 15+ years of relevant experience and a bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
Additional Position Requirements:
- Occasional travel to other Kite locations.