Within the laboratories of Kingston General Hospital (KGH), incumbents will support an environment of quality service reflective of the Mission, Vision, Philosophy, and Values of KHSC, which enables the Clinical Laboratory Services Team to be “committed to our communities, and to be the most highly valued and respected academic health centre”. Incumbents of the laboratories will assist in carrying out the strategic direction of the Department through helping with the continual improvement of patient focused services. Incumbents will assist in identifying opportunities for improvement, facilitate and implement Departmental Continuous Improvement initiatives by challenging the process, inspiring a shared vision, enabling other to act, modelling the way, and encouraging the heart. Incumbents will participate and/or facilitate work related committees for process improvement, accreditation, or other as required. The incumbent is energized by change. Performs laboratory analyses requiring technical skills and knowledge. Exercise independent judgment on testing on a variety of specimens. Provide assistance to Pathologists, Laboratory Physicians and Laboratory Scientists in performing certain delegated medical acts related to the laboratory discipline in which the incumbent is assigned.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Performs specimen handling and processing.
- Performs Lab Testing depending on Clinical Lab assignment.
- Performs repeat testing where required.
- Responsible for verifying, reporting and releasing of all results by self,
- Phones and documents phone call of abnormal and critical lab results based on established policies and procedures
- Performs Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures to ensure Lab testing meets established requirements and standards.
- Ensures efficient use of laboratory supplies and reagents.
- Monitors supplies inventory to ensure adequate supply is maintained. Notifies appropriate person when re-orders are required.
- Performs and documents routine equipment maintenance and performs minor troubleshooting procedures.
- Provides guidance and supervision to Laboratory Assistants where required
NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive. Please see People Services for a full job description.
- Applicants are required to produce a certificate of registration from the College of Medical Laboratory Technology of Ontario as a General Medical Laboratory Technologist, i.e., registration in Biochemistry, Bacteriology, Histology, Hematology and Immunohematology with endorsement in Mycology, Virology and Parasitology.
- 3 years Microbiology experience, 2 of which in Mycology required.
- Demonstrable skills in the discipline applied for.
- Demonstrated interest in personal professional development.
- Computer skills to include Lab Information System and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a focus on interaction with Laboratory staff and internal and external health professionals.
- Diplomacy and understanding others’ viewpoints.
- Flexibility to meet operational requirements, including hours of work, location and accessibility to staff.
- Must be highly motivated.
- A strong team player, with the ability to perform duties independently.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.