Kingston Access Services is a non-profit organization that provides specialized transit services to over 4,000 registered passengers in the City of Kingston through Kingston Access Bus.
Please note: Kingston Access Services is not part of Kingston Transit or The City of Kingston.
Position: Specialized Transit Operators (Part-time)
Hours of Work: As required
Starting Pay Rate: $21.31/hr (future increases based on hours worked as per Collective Agreement: Maximum $23.01).
Other Benefits: Eligible to participate in Health plan (50-50 cost split) upon completion of probationary period. Life insurance upon completion of probationary period (100% employer funded)
Driving applicants must have the following:
- Must have a valid class "B", "C", "E" or "F" license.
- Please Note: Those with a class A, D, or G license are not licensed to drive our vehicles. Please see the below link for more information on license classifications.
Those with a class "A" or "D" license can obtain an "F" license through MTO by providing an updated medical and doing a written test (no road test is required). Please contact the Ministry of Transportation for more information.
- Kingston Access Services does not provide training towards obtaining the required license, nor pay for applicants to obtain the required license. Kingston Access Services does not hire conditionally upon obtaining the required license. All applicants in order to be considered must have the required license.
- Clean driving record. Applicants with more than 2 demerit points will not be considered.
- Flexible availability (including weekday evenings, and weekends).
- Ability to politely interact in a considerate, professional manner with persons with disabilities, elderly, co-workers, and members of the public at all times. Previous experience working with special needs individuals would be an asset.
- Strong knowledge of Kingston (i.e. streets) would be a definite asset.
- Applicants must be physically capable of pushing/pulling mobility devices such as wheelchairs to/from bus and destination. Must be physically capable of applying mobility device restraints at floor level of bus to mobility device.
- Responsible for prompt pickup and discharge of all scheduled passengers.
- Adhere to all driving regulations and follow Company safety policies.
- Maintain a high level of courtesy and care while picking up, transporting and assisting all passenger's door to door.
- Ensure all mobility devices are properly secured for transportation, and ensure passengers wear seat belts.
- Accurately and thoroughly complete all required paperwork including pre-trip inspections, and fare collections.
- Communicate with dispatchers to report issues, update schedules and status.
Hours of work:
- Days, weekends, nights. KAS operates from 6am to midnight 7 days/week. Availability for all shifts is an asset.
- Existing part-time employees average 22-24 hours per week (please note: hours are not guaranteed). Most shifts are scheduled 1-2 weeks in advance. Those with a high amount of same-day availability have opportunity for extra hours (e.g. To cover drivers absent due to illness, or when extra shifts are created).
- Full-time positions are only filled from existing part-time driver pool, based on seniority. Part-time seniority is based on cumulative hours worked.
- Training is 60-70 hours. All training is paid.
- Drivers abstract required and CPIC required upon hire.
Please provide a valid e-mail address on your resume.
Kingston Access Services thanks all interested applicants. We will only be contacting individuals we wish to interview as positions become available. Resumes will be kept on file for 6 months.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $21.31 /hour
- driving: 1 year (Preferred)
- B,C,E,or F drivers license (A,D,or G do not qualify) (Required)