The Financial Management Section of the Finance and Business Operations Division (FBOD) is seeking an Accountant who is self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented team player with a positive work attitude who is looking for a challenging, exciting, and fast-paced work environment. The work will involve administering Special District agency funds and King County agency funds; researching, analyzing, reviewing entries; reconciling; and, making recommendations on how to resolve accounting issues. The position is also responsible for preparing and submitting various monthly remittances.
FBOD's mission is to provide timely, efficient and accurate accounting, procurement, treasury, payroll, benefits and small business services. We are actively seeking employees whose behavior is in alignment with our division's core values of: Respect, Teamwork, Results and Innovation.
Scope of Job Duties: To be considered for this opportunity, you must at a minimum, demonstrate knowledge, skill and ability to:
We are looking for candidates who:
- Monitor the accuracy and completeness of general ledger balances of special district agency funds and King County agency funds; reconcile general ledger balances as needed to supporting documentation
- Perform a variety of accounting tasks including preparing journal entries, reviewing documentation, and preparing reconciliations
- Prepare remittances for Real Estate Excise Tax (REET), City, and State on a monthly basis ensuring they are accurate and remitted timely. Prepare associated distribution entries.
- Manage the opening and closing of Special District funds
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for Local Improvement District (LID) and Maintenance Assessment (MAMS) systems to EBS
Perform property tax reconciliation for several King County agency funds
- Plan and carry out process improvement projects, participate in LEAN projects, prepare standard work documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
We would love it if you have:
- Has experience in Accounting or a related field with impeccable ethics and the ability to exercise sound professional judgement when interpreting and applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for governments of the United States (GAAP)
- Are technically savvy using automated financial information systems, financial reporting software, and Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Are able to prepare accurate financial accounting records requiring high attention to detail
- Possess the ability to think critically, perform detailed analysis, and exhibit problem solving skills
- Are able to communicate respectfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals of diverse backgrounds and at all levels of organizations including external customers
- Are able to prioritize workload and work with changing priorities to produce reliable and high-quality work products while meeting deadlines
- Enjoy providing outstanding service while working individually and as part of a team
- Equivalent combination of experience and education which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability to perform the work
Are you ready to apply?
- Working knowledge of LEAN tools
- Knowledge of Government Accounting Standards Board Statement 84: Fiduciary Activities
This opportunity is open to all qualified candidates.
A completed King County Application (paper or electronic) and answers to the supplemental questions (if applicable) are required. We highly recommend that you also provide a cover letter and resume.
Please apply online at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in a series of interviews and a multiple choice accounting skills assessment.
Other Position Information:
This position is overtime-eligible. Our employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule, every other Thursday, comprising a 40-hour workweek; Monday through Friday typically 8:00 am to 5:00pm.
This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 117, Professional and Technical Employees.
If you have any questions or concerns while applying, please contact Jen Montoya
, HR Analyst, by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 206-477-5997.