The King County Archives is seeking an energetic candidate to serve as an Archives Specialist (Administrative Specialist 2). The mission of the Archives is to serve the public and agencies of King County by collecting, preserving, holding in trust, and facilitating access to County records of enduring historical value. Through our service, we strive to foster appreciation and understanding of King County's origins and continuing history. Under the general supervision of the Archivist, the Archives Specialist position will provide a variety of archival support services for the King County Archives to both internal and external customers.
Our ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of providing archival reference services using government records and at least a basic understanding of proper archival techniques, including (but not limited to) records handing and processing.
Records and Licensing Services' guiding principles and core values govern our roles and responsibilities as employees. We are actively seeking employees whose behavior is in alignment with our division's core values of: Collaboration, Service-Oriented, Results-Focused, Accountability, Innovation, Fair, Just, and Professional.
SCOPE OF JOB DUTIES: To be considered for this opportunity, you must at a minimum, demonstrate knowledge, skill and ability to:
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO:
- Interview internal and external customers to establish and identify archival reference service's needs;
- Provide information and training on obtaining archival records, the use of microfilm readers and printers, reading historical indexes and using online research tools to internal and external customers over the phone, in writing and in person;
- Compose, review and edit archival finding aids, training materials, office procedures, and correspondence with researchers to ensure these conform to the appropriate use of the English language and established archival procedures;
- Identify and prioritize time sensitive requests and handle confidential information appropriately;
- Process payments and perform moderate calculations involving accounts payable, accounts receivable, cashiering, reconciling accounts, monitoring expenditures and additional applications;
- Maintain public research area, including retrieving and filing paper records and microfilm;
- Other duties as assigned.
WE WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU
- Have experience using local, state, and regional historical resources, including online search tools and physical collections;
- Have experience in the proper handling of archival materials or similar historic collection, including, handling historic documents or artifacts in either a professional or volunteer capacity;
- Are experienced and passionate about providing excellent customer service and professionalism in a research environment with richly diverse customers and stakeholders;
- Have the ability to communicate complex requests in writing, on the phone and in person.
- Have intermediate ability in the Microsoft Suite, including; Excel, Access, Word, Outlook and other database applications;
- Have working knowledge of basic accounting and cashiering;
- Excel in a collaborative work environment!
- Have experience locating and providing archival records and processing textual and non-textual archival materials in a professional environment;
- Have experience working in a government records environment and/or knowledge of local government organization and functions, including public regulation and the legislative process;
- Have a strong interest in Northwest history, from 1852 to present and familiar with records management and Washington State public records laws.
Are you ready to APPLY?
- The standard working hours are from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday. This position is overtime eligible and may be mandatory at times.
- The selected candidate must pass a background investigation.
- This position is conducted in both an office and warehouse environment and will involve bending, squatting, pushing carts, and lifting boxes up to 40 pounds, reaching and using ladders.
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified candidates. A completed King County Application is required. We highly recommend that you also provide a resume and cover letter
detailing your experience as it relates to this position.
If you have any questions or concerns while applying, please contact Jen Irwin
HR Analyst, by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 206-263-0601. Connect with me on LinkedIn!
King County is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and we encourage people of color, women, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.