The Field Service Engineer I is responsible for installing, troubleshooting, and maintaining products/equipment. The position is also expected to train employees, identify, analyze, and repair product failures, order and replace parts as needed. The Field Service Engineer relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job and works under immediate supervision of the Field Service Engineering Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Resolves escalated calls from the helpdesk, Field Service Engineers and vendor helpdesk requiring supervisory level intervention. E.g. determining requirements to be met before work can be started including licensing, network or systems requirements. On in house and proprietary software problems referred from vendor determines appropriate level for problem resolution.
- Maintains adherence of service level agreements with other areas of Information Technology to continually increase customer satisfaction.
- Instruct, guide and oversee personnel to confirm and ensure consistent quality in problem resolution and application of credit union and departmental standards and ensure policies are maintained.
- Oversee desktop support problems and resolutions using server based tracking software to determine trouble trends or problem support areas and to ensure support procedures are being followed.
- Creates standards and procedures for work to be completed in an efficient and timely manner.
- Analyzes business needs and new technology and makes recommendations. Develops organizational policies and procedures for hardware and software acquisition and use.
- Diagnoses complex technical issues and create task-oriented solutions.
- Develop work plans and estimates delivery times for moves, upgrades and equipment ordering and installation.
- Communicates with internal customers and interacts with software and hardware vendors for ordering hardware and software and resolving problem with software and hardware orders.
- Applies effective trouble shooting techniques to resolve problems in an efficient manner.
- Works cooperatively with other IT groups to diagnose error conditions and to correct problems efficiently.
- Stands in for helpdesk on breaks, lunches or vacations.
- Setup workstations, Personal Computers, software and/or printers as needed to backup technical support personnel.
- Train end-users as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Problem Management tools (TrackIt!)
- Knowledge of trouble ticket management, ticket routing, and reporting
- Good working knowledge of Network - TAM, TCP/IP, and ISP Service Providers
- Broad range of telecommunications, network, mainframe, midrange systems and desktop knowledge.
- Excellent PC skills
- A broad range of experience with management tools – MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to interact with staff, members and others encountered in the course of work.
- Ability to learn and apply new information or skills.
- Ability to observe and interpret people and situations.
- Ability to perform highly detailed work on multiple, concurrent tasks.
- Ability to work under intensive deadlines.
Education, Training and Experience:
Potential candidates for this position must meet the following requirements:
- Associate degree in Computer Science or related field or any equivalent combination of experience, training and education.
- 1 -2 years in a technical capacity equivalent to Kinecta Federal Credit Union’s Help Desk/Technical Support area.