At Kik, our mission is to be the best place to have meaning conversations with someone new.
Kik is a chat platform with millions of active users where people can chat with friends and connect with chat-based services. Founded in 2009, Kik Interactive, Inc. is headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario.
Created by Kik, Kin is a cryptocurrency that brings together a broad group of participants to create an open ecosystem of digital services that prioritizes consumer experience and choice. Our team in Tel Vive Israel is dedicated on Kin.
How we work
We have a high-performing engineering team that is tackling challenging problems and doing real impactful work. We organize our team in a small, cross-function squad structure. We build native Android and iOS applications. We have a micro-service architecture and we practise continuous integration. Our platform and applications run on AWS. We ship our code frequently.
About the role
We are hiring multiple people for this role. As a Server Developer at Kik, you will work on a highly-scaled distributed system that receives hundreds of millions of messages and terabytes of raw data in real-time per day. Facing some of the most difficult challenges in modern software engineering, your team will power the core of a system relied on every day by millions of users. You'll be building server components to improve users' daily digital life.
What you can expect
- Designing and developing high-volume, low-latency applications for mission-critical systems and delivering high-availability and performance using our gRPC Microservices framework
- Participate in full software development lifecycle and write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- We code primarily in Java, as well as Go
- Other technologies we are using: Rxjava, Redis, Zookeeper, gRPC, Protobuf, MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDB
- Take part in an on-call rotation to maintain our users' trust
- Live our team values of smart, nice and get stuff done
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Solid backend development experience with Java, Go or C#
- You are Linux proficiency
- Familiar with cloud platform, AWS, GCP, Azure or any others
- Experience working with relational databases, eg. mySQL, PostgreSQL
- You are passionate, highly motivated, and fun to work with
- Able to deliver amazing results with minimal guidance and supervision
- Nice to have: Experience with scaling, high volume system
- Nice to have: Working experience with NoSQL database, eg. Cassandra, DynamoDB, Mongo
- Nice to have: DevOps experience
The value we breathe everyday at Kik
- Smart is looking at all options
- Smart is making complex things simple
- Smart is encouraging others to challenge your ideas
- Nice is seeking to understand others
- Nice is working hard to find the win- win
- Nice is delivering feedback directly
- GET STUFF DONE
- Getting stuff done is leaning in even when you disagree
- Getting stuff done is not being ok with good enough
- Getting stuff done is embracing the challenges and changes that come with being on the bleeding edge
- Generous Health, Drug and Dental benefits plans, including Family and Travel coverage
- Stock Options
- Flexible work hours
- Catered lunches daily!
- Full stacked kitchen with healthy and yummy snacks
- Flexible Vacation: 3 weeks plus a 2-week shutdown in December!
- Fully equipped office gym with a shower and towel service, and fitness classes!
- Much more!