As a Development Manager, Server at Kik, you will work on a highly-scaled distributed system that receives hundreds of millions of messages and terabytes of raw data in real-time per day. Facing some of the most difficult challenges in modern software engineering, your team will power the core of a system relied on every day by millions of users. We leverage cutting-edge tools, software and open-source where it makes sense. If you enjoy working in a highly collaborative, multidisciplinary, fast environment, you will find this role highly rewarding.
Teams at Kik are small and we look for talented leaders who are strong individual contributors with a desire and passion for leading and mentoring others. You can expect to spend at least half your time providing technical leadership through architecture discussions, code reviews, and setting best practices, with the remainder of your time split between people management and hands-on development.
Experience we like:
- Lead a team of server developers in developing elegant solutions to complex problems
- Design and develop high-volume, low-latency applications for mission-critical systems and delivering high-availability and performance using our gRPC microservices framework
- Participate in full software development lifecycle and write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Foster a culture of fast iteration and experimentation, balanced by a long term technical vision
- Provide technical and architectural leadership, while coaching and mentoring team members to enable them to achieve a high level of success
- Work closely and cross functionally with other leaders to align technical vision to product and operational needs and contribute to design and architecture decisions
- Take part in an on-call rotation to maintain our users' trust
- 5+ years of hands-on development experience
- 2+ years experience leading a team of developers
- Experience building high performance, scalable, highly available solutions with Java or Go
- Experience working in an AWS ecosystem
- Strong technical communicator with the ability to present designs to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Generous Health, Drug, and Dental benefits plans, including Family and Travel coverage
- Stock options
- Flexible work hours
- Catered lunches
- Flexible vacation: 3 weeks plus a 2-week shutdown in December
- Fully equipped office gym with a shower and towel service
- Much more!
Kik connects the world through chat. Kik is a chat platform with millions of active users where people can chat with friends and connect with chat-based services. Founded in 2009, Kik Interactive, Inc. is headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, with offices in Toronto, New York and Tel Aviv. For more information, please visit kik.com.
Created by Kik, Kin is a cryptocurrency that brings together a broad group of participants to create an open ecosystem of digital services that prioritizes consumer experience and choice. Implemented on the public Ethereum blockchain as an ERC20 token, Kin will serve as the basis of interoperability within the Kin Ecosystem. For more information, please go to kinecosystem.org.