Kiferbaum Development Group (KDG) is currently hiring an Assistant Project Manager for its ground-up multi-family and mixed-use projects in Chicago. The role will involve assisting the Development Manager with the planning, organization and management of the day-to-day construction operations. The initial focus will be on a 30-unit transit-oriented apartment development that recently started construction. Time will be spent primarily in the company's corporate office with frequent field visits. KDG is a vertically integrated real estate development and investment company that performs its own general contracting and construction management. This position offers an excellent opportunity for someone with education/experience in the construction field to broaden their experience in real estate development with a fast-growing entrepreneurial development company.
Experience and Skill Requirements
- A degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management is preferred
- 0-3 years of project management or project engineering experience
- Strong grasp of construction sequencing, methods, materials, systems, and techniques.
- Experience in budgeting, bidding, scheduling, and managing day-to-day project operations
- Ability to effectively divide the scope of work among several subcontractors and draft detailed subcontracts
- Ability to accurately budget, recommend creative cost savings and value engineering ideas, and prepare construction draws
- Strong leadership, planning and communication skills to effectively lead and manage the project's subcontractors
- Strong organization skills and ability to efficiently manage and access project information
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to efficiently drive projects to completion
- Strong computer skills
- A valid drivers' license and vehicle
Tasks, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Prepare project schedules and budgets
- Track costs throughout the project and maintain/update schedule on a weekly basis
- Check subcontractors' applications for payment to ensure work billed is complete
- Collect subcontractor invoices and draft monthly contractor and owner sworn statements
- Solicit bids from subcontractors and suppliers. Evaluate subcontractor bids, aid in pricing alternates, and propose value-engineering alternatives.
- Draft subcontracts and change orders
- Perform material quantity takeoffs and issue purchase orders to materials suppliers
- Keep accurate records of all project documents including material and labor costs, subcontractor proposals, subcontracts, lien waivers, and insurance certificates.
- Maintain frequent and effective communication with subcontractors and suppliers to efficiently schedule the work and ensure that materials are ordered in a timely manner.
- Visit the projects daily or as otherwise deemed necessary. Document project progress and communicate status updates.
- Participate in scope reviews and coordination meetings with subcontractors. Generate project meeting minutes and forward to appropriate parties.
- Assist in coordinating and monitoring daily construction progress.
- Ensure work is being performed in a quality manner and in accordance with technical specifications
- Proactively identify potential problems and recommend solutions.
- Answer subcontractor questions and escalate any unresolved issues to Development Manager or Owner.
- Convey information regarding changes in project plans to the subcontractors
- Ensure that the work is being executed in compliance with local or state regulations
- Ensure that the construction site is consistently kept clean, safe, and secured
- Manage punch list process and obtain all closeout materials from subcontractors and suppliers including warranties, as-built plans, and operations manuals.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive base salary based on experience
- Annual performance bonus
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly auto and cell allowance
- Paid time off
- Casual work environment
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking