JANUS et Cie(r), a reputable, design-focused leader in the furniture industry is currently seeking a Product Engineer for the Product Development team.
The exceptional team at JANUS et Cie, now part of Haworth and the Poltrona Frau Group along with Poltrona Frau, Cassina and Cappellini, serves commercial, hospitality and residential clients with a dedicated focus on outstanding quality, superior craftsmanship and unparalleled service. The company's namesake—the Roman god JANUS, whose two faces look both forward and back—is the foundation of a unified mission rooted in tradition, heritage and craft, yet equally dedicated to innovative materials and progressive engineering. This inspired long-term view is realized through the lens of a unique corporate culture that encourages curiosity, creativity and collaboration in the pursuit of excellence. Acclaimed by the most discriminating designers, architects, and juried competitions, the company's powerful body of work is realized through a top-of-class support team.
Under the direction of the Product Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the following duties:
Internal Customer Support: The new hire would be responsible for fielding internal requests from the PM and Customer Service Teams. These would include but not be limited to:
- Control of the RMA process once the failed product has been returned. This includes tagging the product with all relevant info, inspection of failure, pictures, reverse engineering of the failure cause and ultimately a final report on the failure. This sometimes may involve travel to the client properties to make a better determination of failure and to show our top clients that we're serious about fixing their issues. (See report from Hyatt Scottsdale)
- Once failures are found, the new hire will work to create a corrective action plan. This will include determining who is at fault (customer, vendor, shipping, or JEC), working with the PM's to determine how much we have in stock, estimating the cost of replacement vs correcting existing stock, and ultimately creating a plan to move forward. This will also include a risk assessment for both internal and Haworth reporting.
- Investigation of any product improvements requested by people inside and outside of JEC. This can include new glides, adding casters to products, locking table mechanisms, etc.
Lab Testing and Reporting:
- Control of the test lab priorities and sequencing. This involves placing the SO with the PM team, pre-test inspection and pictures, testing of the items on the test equipment, and creating reports for each item tested. (See internal JEC test report)
- Tracking first production shipments and ensuring these items get tested as soon as possible to verify the products meet our requirements.
- Testing of new coatings, materials, and fabrics for strength, UV, salt, etc.
- Help create a new testing protocol that includes glide testing on various floors, cushion testing, and updates to the BIFMA protocol that more accurately reflect outdoor furniture.
Custom Product Development:
- Assist with custom product development. This will include running FEA reports and generating models to share with the factories to convey the construction clearly.
- Bachelor Degree; Mechanical Engineering preferred
- 2-5 years working experience in an engineering discipline
- Proficient in SolidWorks
- Solid Simulation or similar FEA program a plus
- Experience with wood, aluminum, steel, and plastic construction required.
- Experience with furniture construction not required but will be a plus.
Seriously qualified candidates for this career position in an important growth oriented stable company, recognized for quality and brand leadership, may email resume and cover letter to Garey Chambliss, Talent Acquisition Manager.
Visit our website at www.janusetcie.com to view our products.
Job Type: Full-time