Metro Sales Representative
The Metro Sales Representative I works to target potential customers to grow new business, convert the target audience to use James Hardie products, positions the Company’s value proposition and whole-product solution to the customer, and become a strong business partner. The Metro Rep I reports directly to the Area Sales Manager.
With a strong knowledge of business and market sense, the incumbent successfully manages an assigned sales territory and reports on related marketing activities by conducting competitive market analysis, competitive intelligence, and other sales-related research.
Works collaboratively with the appropriate Area Sales Manager (ASM) to target and successfully sell the Company’s exterior products to builders within the key target profile, leveraging key channel partners and preferred wholesalers, dealers, architects, and installers, by: (90%)
Manages self and organizational issues by: (10%)
- Conducting a competitive market analyses, including existing territory, customer types, and existing competitive products, as well as “On the Wall Costs” (OTWC) for the Company’s products and competitors’ products resulted in the territory plan;
- Developing a target list of potential builders for the sales funnel based on the profile of potential customers as defined in the territory plan and geographic market;
- Building and enhancing strong customer relationships with multiple key decision makers of new and existing customers;
- Proactively using all available sources (Local Home Builder Association, Internet, newspaper, etc.) to develop a “Lead” bank consisting of all potential customers (builders, architects, and developers);
- Uncovering creative methods to position the Company’s products and solutions in front of as many target builders as possibly by developing effective starters that will engage the builder’s interest;
- Complete 17 (minimum) face-to-face sales calls per week in pursuit of sales objectives. Scheduled meetings will focus on targeted builders, associated channel partners, install companies, and associated decision makers.
- Following through with all sales activity to maximize the close ratio (goal of greater than 75% target to conversion ratio);
- Utilize CRM (salesforce) and other selling tools to maximize efficiency and effectiveness for sales execution;
- Using the Company’s designated CRM tool in addition to supporting office programs to manage daily sales activity by preplanning meetings at least 1 week in advance and keeping customer appointments;
- Updating his/her ASM/RSM on weekly 1-on-1 coaching calls with a “Target List” (prospect information), status of opportunities in the sales funnel and next action(s);
- Conducting oneself in the highest professional manner through integrity and personal conduct.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be bilingual (French and English).
- Superior interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Proven success in developing new business and generating sales leads by managing a territory and selling activities.
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving, crafting a win-win solution (collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in a timely basis) and negotiation with special emphasis on closing the sale.
- Ability to communicate and work with cross-functional teams and all levels in the organization.
- Results-oriented to ensure delivery of appropriate products and services in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion.
- Demonstrated intermediate skills with the standard features of various personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Salesforce, Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and proprietary software).
- Excellent presentation skills before both small and large groups.
- A demonstrable capacity to keep abreast of new industry trends and best sales practices and how they would interact with Company products.
- Willingness and ability to work from home office environment and structure a productive schedule with little to no supervision.
- Strong self-directed organizational skills to organize time effectively on daily and weekly basis.
- Demonstrated ability to execute on a plan and drive results.
- Ability to maintain and upgrade individual skills set, per market, through continuous learning and market awareness.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to travel overnight (10%).
- Bachelor’s degree (in Sales and/or Marketing preferred) (Advanced degree preferred);
- 3 or more years of successful outside sales experience selling value-added, whole solution products to customers within the consumer durables, manufacturing, telecommunications, or other transferable industry;
- Demonstrated Experience with the standard features of various automated Sales Tracking Software, Customer Relationship Management Software, or proprietary software (CRM, Salesforce.com, FileMaker Pro, ACT, etc.)
- Experience with market development concepts [adoption lifecycle, market development checklist, and STP (segmenting / targeting / positioning)] based on sustaining products and innovations; and
- Sales management and market development experience (preferred).
James Hardie is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability. Equal Employment Opportunity is the law.