Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar, small-batch chocolate maker and cafe in San Francisco. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origin as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Today we're seeking full and part-time Retail Associates & Baristas to be a part of the opening of our newest factory and cafe on 16th Street in San Francisco's historic Mission District.
About the Role
As a member of our opening team, you'll help us get our new space up and running to its full capacity. Our retail space will offer plenty of samples that invite guests to taste and explore. You'll make sure that our shelves are fully stocked and merchandised to our high standards, creating a delightful shopping experience for our guests. Whether it's a large group joining us for a tour or a Mission resident coming in for their morning coffee, we want to make sure they are treated with the same care and attention. In the cafe, you'll have an opportunity to showcase your coffee and chocolate drink-making skills. You'll also be serving some of the tastiest pastries available in the city, created by our pastry team and led by our world-class pastry chef.
We'll make sure you're ready for this by providing an intensive training where you'll learn everything about chocolate from where it's grown, how it's processed, and how to make your own batch of chocolate. You'll become an expert taster of all of our drinks, treats, and bars and learn the differences in flavor for each chocolate origin. While we're chocolate makers, we are also passionate and excited about coffee. We train with Ritual Coffee Roasters and work with their team to ensure that everyone is taught how to expertly craft a shot of espresso and steam the perfect pitcher of milk. This role starts at $16.50/hour plus tips with opportunities to level up within the team.
Our ideal candidate is a mature, team-oriented individual who is excited to learn and share their chocolate and coffee expertise. You develop authentic rapport with guests, can work independently as necessary, and you have the savvy to navigate unexpected situations with confidence. Whether it's an impromptu birthday celebration for a regular or creating a custom tasting for an out of town guest, you always look for a gracious way to meet (or exceed!) a guest's needs. You're energized by a long line of excited people and you love making spaces more efficient in downtime so you're ready for the busy period. Ideally, this isn't your first time working in customer service and hospitality, and you are excited to grow in your role and take on more responsibility.
- Coffee & Chocolate Knowledge: You'll create chocolate and espresso drinks with a consistent level of excellence and commitment to our high standards. You will actively engage guests on the sales floor and enthusiastically share your knowledge about our small-batch chocolate. You'll be able to answer guests' questions about our chocolate and coffee products with ease, even suggesting drink and pastry pairings when appropriate.
- Hospitality: Regardless of the day of the week or the crowds, customers can consistently depend upon you for an amazing experience. You look for opportunities to surprise and delight both your team and our guests. You are empowered to create great experiences and never hesitate to resolve an issue with empathy and grace.
- Systems & Processes: You consistently work to identify ways to improve operating procedures, checklists, and documentation so that your individual observations benefit the entire team and lead to all-around cafe improvements. Your skills add to the cleanliness, organization, and function of the store, team, and organization.
- Team-player: You are a positive, team-oriented individual who consistently improves your team's experience. Your coworkers want to work with you again (and again and again).
- Other tasks as necessary
- Phenomenal Interpersonal Skills: You have strong communication and teaching skills, and can change your approach and response depending on the situation. You have a proven ability to work well within a team environment.
- Desire to grow and develop: You look for opportunities to develop your skill set and are looking to develop within an organization.
- Flexibility: You thrive in a busy environment and are energized by giving guests a world-class experience. You enjoy working across teams and supporting the entire organization.
- Previous experience: 1-2 years of retail or customer-facing work experience in a fast-paced environment, and we welcome people with coffee and chocolate experience.
- Weekend & Weekday Availability: Regular evening, weekend, and holiday availability are required.
The benefits and perks continue beyond a robust chocolate and coffee education. Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in our people and culture. All team members receive medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All employees receive paid vacation time, holiday pay, and paid sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, FSAs, local gym discounts, chocolate tasting opportunities, the chance to travel to origin and our Japan locations, and a range of opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
How to Apply
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role in order to contribute in a bigger way with us. To stand out from the crowd, send us your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience or influence. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to join our cafe team.