Position ID: 1718
Job Category: Policy, Planning & Research
Division & Section: City Planning, CP Community Planning Toronto & EY Dist
Work Location: CITY HALL, 100 Queen Street W.
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $110,965.40 - $130,366.60, TM0661, Wage Grade 8.0
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 18-Nov-2019 to 02-Dec-2019
Reporting to a Director Community Planning, the Manager will assist in advancing the mission of the City Planning Division from a district perspective.
- Manages a group of professional planners and clerical staff to deliver the Community Planning work program at both the district and City-wide levels.
- Provides advice and a strategic role in connecting and coordinating the work of city divisions to promote city building through public and private development.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Manages, motivates and trains the unit’s staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Acts as a coach and mentor to staff to help foster personal growth and contribute to succession planning.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit, and ensures that the unit’s expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Interprets, implements and amends the City’s Official Plan and the City’s Zoning By-laws, providing a regulatory framework for the physical development of the City.
- Prepares and supervises staff who provide public policy directions for the City and manage the production of reports.
- Assesses and coordinates the approval of all land development applications from intake to approval in accordance with Council directed and legislated time requirements and provides leadership in reconciling various interests and objectives. Provides workable solutions to problems in areas such as development control, zoning compliance, area planning and policy.
- Develops terms of reference for planning studies to be conducted by staff and external consultants.
- Liaises with and coordinates input of city divisions, agencies, other levels of government and landowners in studies, reviews and corporate initiatives.
- Liaises with applicants, lawyers, developers, community members and Councillors, including regular negotiations, mediation and conflict resolution with respect to development activities.
- Prepares and presents reports to standing committees and Council which result in implementation decisions of Council, new development of residential, commercial, industrial, institutional employment and recreational buildings which provide jobs, housing and amenities.
- Formulates and implements public participation programs for planning and development studies.
- Manages development activity to ensure land use is consistent with the vision of Council as expressed in the Official Plan, including participating in mediation and providing expert witness to tribunals such as the Local Planning Appeals Tribunal.
- Acts for the Director as required.
- Post-secondary education in planning or in a professional discipline pertinent to the job function or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Extensive project or program management experience, including developing and managing short and long term initiatives in a city planning environment.
- Considerable experience leading, motivating and developing a team of staff in a large private or public sector organization, ensuring teamwork and high standards of organizational performance.
- Considerable experience leading community consultations for the purpose of engaging the public or other stakeholders on municipal building and planning initiatives.
- Highly developed skills in building and maintaining partnerships both internally and externally while balancing a range of stakeholder interests in complex political environments.
- Highly developed skills in leading and implementing change, negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution with the ability to influence appropriate stakeholders in a professional and ethical manner.
- Excellent decision making ability using innovative and outcome-oriented leadership.
- Superior communication, presentation and report writing skills to communicate effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including community representatives, senior City staff, elected officials and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently, exercise discretion, sound judgement and political acumen to deal with complex, sensitive and confidential issues.
- Ability to develop and administer budgets to ensure unit fiscal accountability and effective use of resources.
- Ability to serve as a witness at Local Planning Appeal tribunals.
- Comprehensive knowledge of best practices in the planning field and policy documents, such as the City's Official Plan, the City's Zoning By-laws.
- Must be familiar with relevant government legislation, such as in the area of occupational health and safety.
- Eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners would be considered an asset.
- Applicants are required to demonstrate in their application/resume that their qualifications match those specified in the job posting. Additional information submitted after the job posting closing date will not be accepted
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.