1. Education: A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in Business or Public Administration, or closely related field.
2. Experience: Analyst I - None. Analyst II - Two years of increasingly responsible professional staff analytic or administrative experience at the level of Analyst I with the City of San Jose.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
**Acceptable Substitutions: Experience as a Staff Specialist with the City of San José may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
The ideal candidate will have an appreciation and passion for public service work and possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations; including:
Collaboration - Develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
Computer Skills - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Fiscal Management - Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
Multi-Tasking - Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Describe your experience working with budgets. This can range from creating reports or tracking costs/revenues, to the development and analysis of any type of budget.
2. Describe your experience with analyzing budget and policy issues.
3. Describe your experience developing solutions to complex problems/issues when the solution was not clear. Identify the problem/issues involved, the steps you took to address it, and the results you obtained.
4. Budget work, like any job, often encounters competing priorities and deadlines. Tell us about an instance where you had to respond to work deadlines that seemed difficult to meet. What were your actions and what is your general philosophy about managing deadlines?
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of the position, please contact Kate Handford at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the selection or hiring processes, please contact Linh Le at mailto:email@example.com