The City of San Jose invites applications for the citywide classification of Accounting Technician. Under general supervision, the Accounting Technician performs complex work of considerable difficulty in the maintenance of financial records, systems or transactions, and related work as required.
Positions & Duties
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Accounting Technician classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
This is the highest level class in the non-professional accounting series responsible for performing paraprofessional accounting work. This class differs from the next lower class of Principal Account Clerk based upon the technical difficulty of assigned duties. This class differs from the Accountant I class in that the latter is a professional level class wherein incumbents may prepare and sign off reports, statements and audits and perform other professional accounting functions.
Duties of this position may include:
- Provides detailed technical paraprofessional accounting records to operating departments or Finance Department, including but not limited to: summaries, inventories, control reports, projections, or analyses.
- Processes financial documents according to internal regulations, and in compliance with county, state, or federal requirements; reviews record or other documents to resolve problems and/or determine proper coding, entries and documentation; researches payments received by the City; processes payments and other accounting entries to the Financial Management System (FMS); scans and saves all documentation in accordance with policy.
- May supervise accounting clerical personnel, assign, and evaluate work.
- Advises operating departments/units in setting up and conducting financial matters and departmental program budgets according to City regulations.
- Interfaces with other City departments, auditors, business entities, governmental jurisdiction and general public, giving and receiving information regarding area of financial responsibility.
- Operates or utilizes a variety of standard office equipment including but not limited to computers, printers, scanners, phones, calculators, fax, software programs and accounting machines and equipment.
- Prepares organized, legible, and concise written and verbal communication applying directives that are thorough, accurate and comprehensive.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education: Completion of high school or equivalent (General Education Development [GED] Test or California Proficiency Certificate).
2. Experience: At least four (4) years performing responsible accounting clerical work, including at least two (2) years of experience reviewing and balancing ledgers, processing and reviewing revenues, payments, or requisitions, or serving as a timekeeper and processing payroll.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Computer Skills - Experienced with financial management system and common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Customer Service - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
Flexibility - Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, time-frames, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Reliability - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
- Have you successfully completed high school, General Educational Development (G.E.D.) Certificate, or California Proficiency Certificate?
- Do you have at least four (4) years (8,320 hours) performing responsible accounting clerical work?
- Do you have at least two (2) years (4,160 hours) experience reviewing and balancing ledgers, processing and reviewing revenues, payments, or requisitions, or serving as a timekeeper and processing payroll?
- Please describe in detail your experience performing responsible accounting clerical work, including your years of experience reviewing and balancing ledgers, processing and reviewing revenues, payments, or requisitions, or serving as a timekeeper and processing payroll. Include the name of your employer, start and end dates, position title, and job specific duties. Your answer must be consistent with your work history.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Bill Gold at Bill.Gold@sanjoseca.gov.
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The application deadline is on June 14, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
Job: Accounting, Fiscal and Budget
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Standard
Job Posting: May 30, 2019, 6:35:06 PM
Minimum Salary: 63,336.00
Maximum Salary: 76,960.00
Bargaining Unit 1: Municipal Employees' Federation
Closing Date: Jun 15, 2019, 6:59:00 AM