Under general supervision, in a centralized accounting or departmental setting, provides a variety of routine to difficult financial, statistical and accounting office support to the Finance Department; may perform general administrative office support duties, including typing, recordkeeping; performs related work as assigned.
Accounting Assistant II is the journey class of this series, fully competent to perform a variety of financial, accounting and auditing office support duties. All positions are characterized by the presence of fairly clear guidelines from which to make decisions and the availability of supervision in non-routine circumstances. Specific duties, including the amount of typing, word processing and use of an on-line computer system, will vary with the organizational unit to which assigned. This class is distinguished from Senior Accounting Assistant in that the latter performs the more difficult and complex accounting clerical assignments and/or acts as a working lead over assigned accounting clerical support staff.
Examples of Duties
1. Collects fees and other monies for various City services, issuing receipts and balancing accounts on a regular basis; follows-up on delinquent accounts and initiates collections procedures in accordance with City policy.
2. Reviews and reconciles bank statements; matches invoices, receiving reports and other requests for payment with purchase order or contract documents.
3. Ensures proper authorization and compliance with City policies and procedures.
4. Inputs information to a computer system or manually prepares forms to produce warrants.
5. Reconciles and prepares payment requests for non-purchase order expenditures such as utility and telephone payments; effects correction prior to processing; prepares and reconciles tax reports; prepares invoices and provides information to vendors regarding invoices and purchasing orders.
6. Assists with the production of various periodic billing; receives checks by mail and processes and balances accounts receivables.
7. Completes forms to authorize payroll or personnel status changes; maintains and updates payroll records; explains payroll deductions to City employees; answers factual questions regarding City policies and ordinances.
8. Maintains accounting and financial and statistical records and prepares periodic or special reports.
9. Performs a variety of general administrative office support duties such as typing, proofreading, filing and answering the telephone.
10. Enters and retrieves data from an on-line personal computer system; may use such technology to produce standard reports.
NOTE: The level and scope of the knowledge and skills listed below are related to job duties as defined under Class Characteristics.
General Knowledge of: financial record keeping and bookkeeping practices and procedures; the specific functional area to which assigned (i.e., accounts receivable or accounts payable or payroll); office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard; office equipment; correct business English usage and the standard format for typed materials; business arithmetic as applied to accounting and auditing office support functions; basic business data processing principles and use of word processing equipment.
Skill in: preparing, maintaining and reconciling various financial, accounting, statistical and numerical records; performing detailed accounting clerical work accurately; organizing and maintaining office files; making accurate arithmetic calculations; using initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines; operating standard office equipment including a calculator, word processor or on-line computer; prioritizing work and coordinating several activities; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; understanding and carrying out oral and written directions.
Equivalent to graduation from high school and two years of bookkeeping, payroll, accounting or financial clerical or office experience.
NOTE: Specified positions may require typing accurately at the rate of 30 net words per minute from printed copy.
Written Exam Date: November 7, 2019