This is technical regulatory field and office work inspecting capital and land development construction projects. Ensuring the work by contractors or City employees on: sanitary, storm, water, roads, dikes, street lighting; and other projects conforms with contracts, plans, specifications, municipal standards, regulations, bylaws and related requirements. Key examples of work include:
Overseeing, administering and inspecting Utility and Roads Infrastructure Capital projects to ensure that Works are in conformance to the contract documents, approved plans and specifications.
- Liaising and coordinating with various City staff, consultants, contractors and the general public.
- Recording and maintaining daily inspection reports and journals complete with photos and field test reports and saving it to City’s document management system.
- Assisting in the preparation, review and certification of progress draws, bond reductions, change orders, force account and extra work orders on Capital Works and Servicing Agreement administration .
- Administering damage deposits, performing inspections and ensuring repairs to City property are made prior to refunds.
- Inspecting the installation of private underground utilities (e.g. BC Hydro, Telus, Shaw, etc.), ditch in-fills/crossings, dike construction/modifications, culvert/bridge installations, geotechnical /environmental investigation drilling and any other project assigned to the department.
- Taking pre, post, and during construction photos to identify existing damages , documenting projects and identifying/resolving construction issues and deficiencies
- Monitoring safety and traffic control around construction sites.
- Operating computerized vibration equipment and geotechnical lab equipment.
- Performing subdivision inspections to ensure that the Works have been constructed and completed in accordance with the approved plans and specifications.
- Recording and documenting field changes and review as built drawing information for accuracy.
- Organizing, attending and running pre-construction meetings.
- Performing CCTV inspection work in a relief capacity for the Engineering Technician – Inspections.