*Please note that this is a casual position for up to seven (7) months.*
In an environment that supports continuous improvement and under the general supervision of the Supervisor, Geospatial Technician, the employee in this position will maintain, and support systems, work processes and technologies required to provide geospatial services.
Typical duties include:
- Maintain municipal infrastructure records (includes fixed items owned or maintained by the City such as road network and traffic systems, underground sewer and water lines, fiber optic lines, open park space, legal and ownership parcels) from information submitted by City crews, developers or other outside agencies.
- Compile, plot, draft and check base maps, land use maps, profiles, contours, connections and site plans from legal maps, topographical air photo maps, field notes and related reference materials.
- Assist in major design projects such as capital works construction, new water main or water main replacement, domestic and storm sewer installation or replacement, roadway, walk and curb upgrading or redesign, alley profiles.
- Provide services and expertise for mapping, engineering drawings and GIS projects of a wide range of complexities for a variety of users.
- Provide graphic services for public displays or presentations.
- Verify infrastructure information records for consistency, completeness and accuracy identifying problems and initiating corrective action
- Assist in answering technical questions from other City departments, consultants or the general public.
- Maintain drafting and CAD standards including policies and procedures. Maintain an awareness of changes in fields related to CAD and GIS systems.
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
The knowledge, skills and abilities are typically obtained through completion of a two year diploma in Engineering Design and Drafting or Civil Engineering Technology from a recognized technical institute or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Minimum four years experience using CAD and GIS in a municipal engineering environment. Preference will be given to those that have exposure to producing roadways plans and profiles.
- Knowledge of drafting terminology, practices and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of mathematics, including trigonometry and its application to field surveying and engineering computations.
- Knowledge of municipal engineering infrastructure and terminology.
- Knowledge of GIS technology, terminology, practices, techniques and equipment.
- Knowledge of the general rules and regulations of the Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act and the City of Regina Occupational Health & Safety Manual.
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D release 2015 or later is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated skills in using CAD and GIS technology in municipal infrastructure applications.
- Ability to manipulate various data inputs including digital graphic data, (air photo or scanned images) electronic survey data and database files.
- Ability to interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Ability to interpret maps, plans, survey notes and other raw data relevant to the work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a team environment with supervisors, peers, subordinates, civic officials, staff from other departments, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
*Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education*
**In accordance with the City of Regina’s Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires that the successful candidate provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check as a condition of employment.**