In an environment that supports continuous improvement, this position performs complex and sensitive analytical work related to preparing, reviewing, analyzing, evaluating, and administering the City budget and evaluates the fiscal impact of budget submissions and related issues on departmental budgets and the overall City budget. This position provides expert advice and decision support to the operational areas related to variance analysis, forecasting, payroll, HR, costing, short and long term implications of new initiatives, and legislative and policy compliance. This position provides complex analytical advice and analysis related to accounting and financial management, including developing/maintaining effective internal/external stakeholder relationships and the development and implementation of procedures in support of accounting and financial management. This position reports to the Manager.
Typical duties include:
- Participates in the development of the annual City budget by reviewing and analyzing budget submissions; makes recommendations related to revenue sources, funding levels, and operational expenditures ensuring alignment with long-range financial and strategic plans
- Conducts analytical studies of complex and sensitive financial or organizational issues; analyses proposals for immediate and long term policy and fiscal impacts on both the departmental and organizational level; makes recommendations based on findings.
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of accounting and financial information provided to assigned departments.
- Maintains a current understanding of financial, policy, and program issues in the assigned area of responsibility; maintains awareness of the impact of such issues on a citywide basis. Ensures appropriate accounting treatment is applied as required.
- Facilitates the budget process in cooperation with managers, directors, and executive management; schedules and coordinates meetings with operating departments in order to review and finalize budget submissions.
- Reviews budget related documents for completeness and accuracy; provides feedback and direction regarding budget related documents to all levels of the organization.
- Analyses and develops process, procedure, work simplification, computer applications and methods of achieving intended outcomes.
- Prepares or contributes to reports, documentation and correspondence; coordinates and assembles a variety of financial and statistical information for inclusion in reports and presentations and makes presentations.
- Collaborate with operational areas by providing consultation services in areas of expertise.
- Provides expert advice to operational areas supporting the review of financial reports, development of effective and accurate variance analysis and forecasts. Advises operational areas of any financial concerns and provides advice in support of the development and implementation of a solution, including HR, payroll, and costing functions.
- Provide training to business areas to support effective financial and operational management.
- Develop, review, and implement effective financial procedures; ensuring alignment with organizational objectives and meeting department operational requirements.
- Participate in steering committees and organizational projects supporting the achievement of intended outcomes.
- Analysis and evaluation of organizational accounting and financial issues, including identification of risks that may impact achieving accounting and financial targets and the development of recommendations to support risk reduction and achieving financial targets.
- Support the corporate quarterly and annual financial reporting process. Including, but not limited to, preparation of account reconciliations, variance reporting and closing entries.
- Supervise, plan, organize, and direct the activities of assigned staff, as well as provide effective recruitment, training, evaluating performance, leadership and mentoring for assigned staff.
- Perform related work as required.
Candidates will be screened on the following criteria:
*** To be considered for this position you must clearly identify your qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities and where you obtained them in your application/resume. ***
- Typically, the knowledge, skills and abilities for this position are obtained through a University Degree in Administration or Commerce and a recognized accounting designation (CPA), combined with four (4) to six (6) years experience in a computerized accounting environment, including at least three (3) years in a supervisory capacity. A suitable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, particularly those applicable to municipal government.
- Knowledge in preparing and analyzing operational and management information.
- Knowledge of the City's accounting and budgeting processes, computerized financial systems and procedures, corporate and departmental financial policies and procedures, including some knowledge of/exposure to departmental maintenance management systems.
- Knowledge of collections principles and credit management.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply management principles including planning, organization, supervision and administration.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and work with a considerable amount of independence demonstrating sound judgement and decision making.
- Ability to effectively supervise, lead and direct staff including developing and mentoring to achieve objectives, and manage performance.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing demonstrating tact and diplomacy in order to establish effective working relationships with other employees and external/internal stakeholders as necessitated by work assignments.
- Must have the means and ability to travel within the City of Regina (a travel allowance is provided).
- Note: Testing may be done to evaluate knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide proof of acquired education.