The Bureau of Revenue & Finance Services is looking for a Temporary Revenue & Tax Specialist II to join the team!
This recruitment will remain open until 75 applications have been received or until the posted closing date, Monday, December 23, 2019, whichever comes first. Applications received after the 75 application limit has been reached will not be included in this recruitment process.
The Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services is recruiting one temporary, full-time Revenue & Tax Specialist II in the Revenue Division. The Revenue & Tax Specialist II is responsible for providing business, personal income tax and/or liens account customer service assistance to customers on the phone, in person and via email using extensive communications and referral skills and a working knowledge of the bureau programs, codes and data systems. Additional responsibilities include reviewing, analyzing and entering detailed information from a variety of documents, tax returns and exemption forms, depositing receipts via batches and balancing the batch deposit. Although not required, the Revenue Division encourages candidates that can fluently speak another language to include that information in your resume. A keyboarding speed of 45 words per minute and ten-key by touch is preferred, but not required.
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840 and click on the appropriate link.
Why join the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position and should be reflected in your cover letter and resume:
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information such as basic tax codes and filing requirements to customers both orally and in writing.
- Experience assisting customers who may be angry, upset or confused.
- Ability to use business math at an intermediate level, including fractions and percentages.
- Ability to review documents for accuracy and compliance while exercising critical thinking.
- Experience and skill in keyboarding/typing and data entry.
- Ability with cash handling and/or deposit balancing
Applicants must also possess:
- Ability to successfully pass an in-depth background investigation.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and cover letter weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. Some positions may require those placed on the eligible list to complete and sign a criminal background statement before being considered for employment.
**PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting: 12/09/19 - 12/23/19 or when 75 applications are received
- Applications Reviewed: week of 12/23/19
- Eligible List: week of 01/06/20
- Selection Phase Begins: week of 01/13/20
- Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional resume and cover letter
, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions: Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your cover letter should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in the cover letter.
Applications for this position will be accepted, online, until 75 completed applications have been received, but will close no later than the date listed on this announcement. Applications received after the 75 application limit has been reached will not be included in this recruitment process.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Do not attach materials not requested.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Loan Tran, Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources