This recruitment will remain open for two months. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks. The first review period will be 4/29/2019.
The Bureau of Environmental Services is seeking interns for their Business Services Group!
The Bureau of Environmental Services' Business Services Group provides services and support to other groups within the bureau as well as to rate paying customers. This group often provides the connection between BES and central City services (accounting/payroll and financial services, human resources, information technology, procurement, etc.)
The Business Services Group has openings for interns in the Facilities & Administrative Services section and the Revenue Programs section. Please see "Additional information" below for more details of job responsibilities for each section.
Compensation: $14.56 – $17.66 per hour based on year in school
Work Schedule: Flexible hours between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM; part-time and full-time internship opportunities available
Note: This is a temporary Community Service Aide (CSA) II position with a maximum of 1,400 hours in a calendar year.
The Bureau of Environmental Services manages Portland's wastewater and stormwater infrastructure to protect public health and the environment. BES is a mission-driven, high-performance organization, leading the City in preserving and restoring the health of Portland's watersheds. More information about the Bureau: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the internship:
- Professional Online Resume
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions
- Enrollment Status Verification (unofficial or official transcript, class schedule, etc)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Your resume and answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your answers any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than July 1, 2019. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, attach a copy of your DD214 / DD215 and / or Veteran's Administration Letter Stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for.
Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application materials.
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting an accommodation, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below No Later Than the Closing Date of This Announcement.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Section Overiew with Job Duties
Facilities & Administrative Services Group:
Intern will perform a variety of administrative duties to assist with the Facilities & Administrative Services group. Intern may also assist with basic receptionist duties such as providing customer service to internal employees as well as the public in person and over the phone.
- Electronic file maintenance
- Scanning, sorting, and filing sensitive and confidential materials
- Document review and compiling
- Assisting with conference room and vehicle reservations
- Providing customer service in person, via email, and over the phone
- Data entry into a variety of bureau databases
- Data analysis and reporting
Intern will perform a variety of tasks to support the Revenue Programs Group of Business Services. This includes research work to inform and prioritize work for the sewer connection enforcement, urban services, and storm sewer financial assistance programs (Clean River Rewards, GreenBucks, sewer loans), as well as basic clerical duties. Intern will also need to have knowledge of ARC GIS. Knowledge of Cayenta (utility billing system) and TRACS (permitting system) desired.
- Researching, compiling and producing data summaries using Arc GIS, Cayenta, and TRACs
- Data entry and file management
- Develop attribute tables and produce maps in ARC GIS
- Update sewer loan Access database
- Create various budget reports in Excel