The City of Penticton is seeking a qualified and dynamic professional to fill the full-time permanent position of Economic Development Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Development Services, the Economic Development Specialist will work closely with the Economic Development Special Projects Coordinator as well as the Planning, Building Permitting & Licensing, Bylaw, and Development Engineering Departments.
This role is a leadership position responsible for the City’s delivery and oversight of the economic development activities with the intent of attracting new businesses, encouraging investment opportunities, increasing job opportunities and identifying opportunities for sustainable growth and development by promoting and marketing the City as a great place to live, work, visit and conduct business. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of programs and initiatives targeted at promoting ongoing economic development and encouraging investment in the community. You will also be:
- Advocating for the local business community.
- Using your organizational skills to manage the day-to-day administrative office tasks.
- Analyzing and reporting on economic indicators.
- Creating communication material including sector profiles, newsletters, presentations and marketing collateral.
- Managing contractors and consultants.
- Staying updated on the latest economic trends, challenges and opportunities facing businesses in the next 5-20 years.
Additional information about the role and the City of Penticton’s Economic Development Strategic Plan can be found on the next page.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Post secondary education or university degree in Commerce, Economics, Urban Planning or Community Economic Development and/or three or more years of experience in economic development, project management, real estate, marketing or urban & regional planning.
- Previous experience in municipal government or public sector environment will be considered an asset.
- A Certificate in Economic Development and/or Economic Development (Ec.D) designation will be considered an asset.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office software, GIS, and Internet searching tools/techniques.
- Availability to attend evening and/or weekend meetings and other special events as required.
Salary for this position will be determined based on candidate’s education and experience. The City of Penticton also offers a competitive benefit and pension package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume by 4:00 pm on January 7, 2019
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION NO: 18-83E