Position: Engineer, Guidelines and Standards
Competition Number: 2019-EX-EN-52409049-01
Competition posting date: 2019.05.22
Competition closing date: 2019.06.04
Planning, Infrastructure & Economic Development Department, Infrastructure Services, Quality Management
1 Full-time Continuous Position - 35 hours/week
Salary: $82,815.46 to $100,775.22 annually (2019 rates of pay)
Location: 100 Constellation Drive
Category: Current Opportunities
Employment Group: Engineering
The Engineer, Guidelines and Standards, conducts research, consolidates and synthesizes information for
use by the City of Ottawa to support product approvals, standards, specification and guideline development
and updates for construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of municipal infrastructure within the
right-of-way (road, sidewalk, drainage, transportation, structural, water distribution and wastewater
collection). The incumbent acts as the point of contact for suppliers, manufacturers, contractors and
consultants promoting, enquiring or seeking material or product approval from the City for use in the
construction of municipal infrastructure and the point of contact for explanation and clarification of published
standards, specifications, approved product/material and suppliers' listings. The incumbent may chair and will
participate on various internal committees and external work groups that review and update technical
standards, specifications, design guidelines as well as those that recommend approval of products and
materials for use in municipal infrastructure construction projects.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Engineering from a recognized university in Mechanical or Civil Engineering.
A minimum of six (6) years experience in the field of Municipal Water and Sewer infrastructure design,
construction and operation, including project management, specification development, contract
administration, maintenance operations, committee participation and staff supervision.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
Member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario or eligibility to obtain membership.
A valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with no more than 6 demerit
English oral, reading, writing required.
review/approval of new products
- Manual and electronic editing techniques to review and update specifications standards, design
guidelines and other documentation prepared for internal and external use
- Computer applications pertaining to data base management, spreadsheet, word processing, e-mail
and use of the Intranet and Internet
- Protocols for preparing reports, briefings and other communiqués
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers.
Competencies & Skills
results and discussions with internal and external contacts
- Read specification, drawings, plans of the distribution system
- Prepare tender proposals and contract documentation
- Plan, implement, control, complete and inspect project plans as assigned with minimal supervision
- Work well under pressure
- Set priorities and deal effectively with multiple demands and conflicting priorities
- Deal with difficult people including customers, suppliers, staff contractors and consultants
- Write advanced technical reports
- Chair multi-agency meetings
- Utilize computers and software associated with specification preparation and tracking
- Incorporate and apply new technologies for current use and to identify future opportunities for their
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with diverse groups
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.