Position: 2019 Bus Operator Inventory
Competition Number: 2019-EX-EN-52712319-01
Competition posting date: 2019.11.06
Competition closing date: 2020.01.31
Transportation Services Department, Transit Operations, Bus & Para Transit Operations
Full-time Continuous Positions - 40 hours/week - (Shift Work)
Affiliation: ATU 279
Salary: Training rate is 50% of full-time Bus Operator wage rate ($15.782/hr) (2019 Rates of Pay)
Note: Rates of pay after successful completion of training is:
1st - 8 months - 85% of Bus Operator rate ($26.829/hr)
9th - 15 months - 90% of Bus Operator rate ($28.407/hr)
16th - 23 months - 95% of Bus Operator rate ($29.985/hr)
After 24 months - Full Bus Operator rate ($31.563/hr) (2019 Rates of Pay).
Category: Current Opportunities
Employment Group: Transportation
Note: This job inventory will be used to staff Bus Operator vacancies for 2019 and 2020.
The Bus Operator operates City of Ottawa buses in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and corporate
policy. Promotes a customer service mindset when interacting with the general public and is responsible to
provide a safe, comfortable, efficient and reliable transportation service.
Bus Operators who temporarily work in the roles of Operator/Bilingual Sightseeing and Charter Sightseeing
and Operator/Platform Instructor will be paid the appropriate rate or differential for the time that this work is
Education & Experience
Ontario Secondary School Diploma (grade 12) or recognized equivalency.
Minimum five (5) years driving experience with a clean driving record free of demerit points and including
ideally a minimum three (3) years of relevant customer service experience including direct contact with the
public and dealing with a diverse population.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
Valid Ontario unrestricted "G" class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with 0 demerit points
Must be able to pass prior to hire the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) medical exam required to
obtain a class "C" licence.
Driver's abstract with no demerit points and to the satisfaction of the City (recent convictions, discharges and
other actions appearing on the driver's abstract may be considered).
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s
English oral, reading, writing is required for all positions.
Some positions may be designated Day 1 Ready with an immediate requirement for language proficiency in
both English and French as follows:
French oral; reading required
English oral, reading, writing required
Candidates must meet language requirements for the position to be considered for hire.
City of Ottawa landmarks and locations.
Competencies & Skills
Applicants must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job including but not limited to
performing the following tasks, which are repetitive and constant during a normal shift as a Bus
time, while wearing a seatbelt in the driver's seat
- Ability to "reach over-head" with both arms to manipulate controls
- Constant twisting and neck rotation of different ranges to check mirrors, bus passes, etc.
- Ability to perform required MTO pre-trip inspection, which involves walking, bending, squatting,
climbing, reaching, twisting body in many different positions
- Medium duty lifting while assisting customers with special needs
- Constant gripping, pulling and pushing to manipulate control (steering controls, control valves, etc.)
- Bending, stooping, crouching and twisting in order to keep stairway clear of ice and snow build-up
- Ability to manipulate dual foot controls independently or simultaneously at any given time
- Ability to use a radio and microphone and to communicate effectively
- Ability to call out stops as per the CTA directive
- Ability to read and understand trip dockets
- Ability to operate a bus in high-density traffic in the downtown core
- Ability to react and deal with emergency situations as they arise
- Ability to talk to and assist passengers while safely operating a bus
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.