The City of Norfolk's Department of Utilities is currently seeking an Administrative Assistant I to oversee payroll and various human resource functions for its Combined Operations facility. This person will support the Divisions of Water Distribution and Wastewater by reviewing payroll, completing various human resource functions and other administrative/accounts payable responsibilities as assigned.
Essential functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Reviews and processes workers compensation and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) paperwork and reporting requirements.
- Reviews timesheets for proper signatures and accuracy for each pay period.
- Audits employees' time and makes appropriate corrections and adjustments.
- Processes new employees into the system by assisting with orientation/benefits paperwork, acquiring their PeopleSoft access and providing PeopleSoft related technical support to employees as needed.
- Reviews/prepares paperwork and enters information into the PeopleSoft system to process Personnel Action Forms (PAF) for work schedules changes, terminations, position transfers, etc.
- Prepares and submits weekly overtime reports for divisions as assigned.
- Provides daily payroll information and assistance to supervisors and employees.
- Orders office supplies for the division.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
One year of general office work experience. A bachelor's degree or above may substitute work experience (as approved by the department).
The desired candidate will possess the following:
- Four years of general office work experience.
- One year of experience working with a computerized payroll system.
- Ability to read and apply city, federal and state laws and policy guidelines.
- Ability to perform general math calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication.
Additional Information & Requirements
Work Hours: Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
This position is designated as Essential which means you may be required to work extended, after hours, rotating, holidays, nights and/or weekends in response to emergencies and severe weather events.