The City of New Westminster is looking for a Planning Clerk to join the Planning Division of the Development Services Department. The successful candidate will independently perform moderately complex clerical work that requires knowledge of the division functions, procedures and policies. The work involves preparation of agendas, minutes and public notices; assisting with Council report delivery, and document registration; and posting website updates. The successful candidate will also act as general office assistant to the division staff and department Director, arranging meetings, and maintaining records and files for development and tree permits. This role also involves providing information and assistance to internal and external contacts on an as needed basis. Work is performed under moderate supervision and reviewed by a supervisor in terms of conformance with sound practices and procedures.
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by post-secondary courses and/or certificates in office administration, business practices, basic financial record keeping, plus considerable related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the regulations and procedures applicable to development permit and tree permit processing.
- Preferred experience in municipal permitting, record keeping and reporting software (Tempest, Prospero, EDMS, Provox).
- Strong familiarity with contemporary principles of professionalism and customer service excellence, and ability to apply these to difficult and contentious interactions.
- Some knowledge of the Local Government Act, Community Charter, and municipal bylaws and policies an asset.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a variety of internal and external contacts and to explain rules, regulations and policies as they relate to the work.
- Ability to relieve superiors of administrative detail, to make decisions in accordance with the applicable procedures, policies and regulations, compose routine and non-routine correspondence.
- Extensive experience and/ or training in computer and word processing systems (Microsoft Suite), and minimum typing speed proficiency of 55wpm.
- Extensive experience and/ or training in minute taking an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and arithmetic, as well as knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Excellence in attention to detail and ability to work with moderate supervision and to recommend and implement new and improved office methods and procedures related to the work which meet the needs of the division.
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
- This position participates in a Compressed Work Week Program.
City Hall hours of operation are Monday, 8am to 7pm, and Tuesday – Friday, 8am to 5pm.
The successful candidate will be scheduled on Mondays from 10:30am to 7pm on a rotational basis.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-07
by January 25, 2019
to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.