The City of Monrovia invites your application for the position of...
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Salary: $4,215 - $5,649/mo. (DOQ) plus excellent benefits
The City of Monrovia is engaged in an exciting process of renewal to enhance its position as one of the premier municipalities in the nation. We are looking for a unique individual to join our team as a Planning Technician in the Community Development Department. The ideal candidate is anything but ordinary – in fact, we are looking for the extraordinary! Ask yourself this...
THE CITY OF MONROVIA
- Does the idea of changing the world that is Monrovia for the better intrigue you?
- Do you have a passion for excellence, a commitment to best practices, and a desire to join a fast-paced and dynamic full-service organization?
- Are you a highly energetic, motivated, creative, outside-the-box thinker who gets excited at the thought of continual improvement?
- Do you want to be a part of a flexible, innovative, and results-oriented organization?
- Are you someone who strives for excellence and desires to be part of a team looking to create an enduringly great municipal organization?
- Are you willing to put the greatness of the Monrovia organization ahead of your own personal ambitions?
- Are you someone who believes in treating people the right way and doing things the right way and doing the right thing right all the time?
- If you answered YES to the questions above, then you will want to consider this outstanding opportunity to work for the City of Monrovia!
Located 20 miles northeast of Los Angeles and nestled at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, Monrovia is home to nearly 40,000 active and engaged residents who enjoy a premier quality of life in a dynamic City that blends small-town charm with big-city amenities. Monrovia's California heritage can be seen in its tree-lined streets, historic buildings and award-winning downtown, all of which are balanced by a vibrant high-tech/manufacturing economy, outstanding recreation options, superb schools, tremendous shopping and dining options, and first-class cultural opportunities. These factors combine to make Monrovia an extraordinary
THE CITY ORGANIZATION
Monrovia is a general-law city operating under the Council-Manager form of government. The five-member City Council appoints the City Manager who is responsible for the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of the City organization.
The City Manager leads a full-time staff of 250 and a part-time staff of 100 employees while administering a Fiscal Year 2018-19 budget of $135 million.
Monrovia is a full-service municipality that coordinates its operations through six departments: the City Manager's Office, Administrative Services Department, Public Services Department, Community Development Department, Police Department and Fire Department. Unique among California cities its size, Monrovia operates its own water system and library.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
The Community Development Department is comprised of three divisions: Building, Neighborhood and Business Services, and Planning. The Department is dedicated to serving the community, protecting the quality of life, preserving property values, and improving the built and natural environment. Responsibilities range from issuing building permits and business licenses to code enforcement, design review, zoning administration, implementation of the Monrovia Area Partnership program and historic preservation. The Community Development Department plays a very active role in what makes our community and organization premier.
The City of Monrovia is looking for a unique individual to serve as a Planning Technician in the Community Development Department. This individual should be someone who is inspired by the challenges and opportunities presented in working with an engaged and active community. The Planning Technician reports to the Planning Division Manager.
In Monrovia, we believe that the way in which we approach our work is just as important as the end result. An individual who is committed to serving with humility
and who can demonstrate high emotional intelligence will be successful in the role. Competitive candidates will have a hunger
to continually search for better ways of doing things as a way of demonstrating their loyalty
to the organization and community. The selected individual will be a smart
, creative, and intuitive thinker and decision maker.
This position will assist in managing a variety of projects, programs and operational functions including, but not limited to:
- Provide front line customer service by responding to resident and developer inquiries related to general plan, zoning, and permit requirements at the public counter, by telephone, and by electronic mail
- Provide careful design review guidance on residential projects using the City's Neighborhood Compatibility and Demolition Review Ordinances
- Review development plans, project proposals, and business license applications for completeness and compliance with applicable codes
- Prepare and deliver presentations to the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission, and Historic Preservation Commission
- Develop reports using the City's project management software system (TrackiT)
- Assist the Planning Team with the Sign Code Update and reporting on a variety of planning issues