The City of Mississauga requires a WordPress Developer to join our Digital Team. Reporting to the Technical Lead, the successful applicant will be responsible for leading development of our enterprise WordPress platform.
Working at the City of Mississauga means you'll be part of a passionate and talented team that is making a difference to the lives of people who live in Mississauga. You will use a modern technology stack and agile process to find the best way to deliver what our community needs.
About the Team
The Digital Team is working with people across our organization to make the City’s online services and information simpler, clearer and faster for citizens and businesses. We work collaboratively and iteratively, so you'll be expected to work with our entire team, on multiple projects to help us simplify government services.
You have a comprehensive understanding of the WordPress core and you naturally develop solutions abiding to WordPress Coding Standards at an enterprise level. Your solutions are architected and developed with performance in mind and built to scale. You are a big thinker that loves tackling complex problems independently and in a collaborative environment.
As the primary developer for our WordPress platform you will be expected to build core components of our solution. You will help create best practice development standards that our team and other developers integrating into our platform will adhere to.
You will be working with WordPess as a multi-site enterprise content publishing platform in a true CMS or headless architecture on a modern AWS stack leveraging the Rest API, CDNs, custom plugins, integrating with front-end apps and working towards a CI/CD Model in collaboration with the DevOps team.
You’ll need to
- Manage WordPress and create and customize plugins to extend its funcitionality while conforming to the development standards
- Have expert level understanding of MySQL and the WordPress database architecture
- Architect, document and implementing secure and complex web solutions
- Integrate and build RESTful API’s
- Communicate effectively with non-technical professionals
- Write user-friendly technical documentation, design specifications and adhere to PHP Documentation Standards
- Possess a keen attention to detail and take ownership of the work, proactively diagnoses problems, runs QA, tests, debugs and utilizes creative problem-solving skills to solve cross-browser and technical issues.
- Participate in the development and review of business requirements, process maps, and data architecture plans
- Assist in the development and reviews of detailed specification design documentation
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Contribute to the development of test plans and test cases, and ensure quality execution of testing and reporting of results
Skills and Qualifications
- University or College graduate in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent working experience
- 5 years of overall experience in website development, production and maintenance, and public facing web development
- A portfolio demonstrating web development capabilities and experience
- Strong understanding of WordPress core and WordPress development standards
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- 3+ years of IT project methodologies and concept experience
The following skills and experiences are an asset:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- WordPress multi-site configurations
- WordPress multi-site configurations and e-commerce solutions
- Have experience in Agile development
- Municipal, Provincial, or Federal government experience
The candidate will be expected to demonstrate their knowledge and skills during the interview and through a hands-on test. You will be expected to bring your laptop to walk interviewers through examples of your work to demonstrate your skills.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 43.54 - $ 58.06
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Organization Unit: CPS/e-City Portal
Department/Division/Section: CPS/Corporate Services Dept , CPS/IT Division , Digital Services & Mobility
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.