Lead or manage urban design projects, planning studies and City initiatives. Provide professional design input to city-wide projects, master plans and studies. Make recommendations and provide advice to achieve City strategic goals. Formulate, articulate and defend the City’s position before the public, council or the Ontario Municipal Board.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead design studies and/or policy work.
- Initiate, oversee, review and coordinate design studies prepared by external consultants and ensure quality of final deliverables.
- Provide expert advice and/or participate in reports and studies initiated by internal stakeholders.
- Review, evaluate, influence and process development applications from an urban design perspective to achieve design excellence.
- Defend City’s vision and public interest by preparing witness statements/exhibits and serve as an expert witness at the Ontario Municipal Board hearings for development applications.
- Promote public awareness of the importance of urban design in city building and recognize individuals and companies making positive contributions to the City’s urban design environment.
- Preliminary forecasting for projects.
Skills and Qualifications
- Recognized undergraduate/graduate degree in Architecture, Urban Design or related discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years of Urban Design experience required.
- Eligibility for membership in the Ontario Association of Architects or other appropriate professional association.
- Microsoft Office software, design related software, latest technological trends and applications.
- May require some light lifting of supplies/materials.
- Prolonged exposure to computer keyboards and screens. Primarily office environment.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 77,888.00 - $ 103,852.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Civic Centre
Department/Division/Section: P&B/Planning & Building Dept , P&B/Develop & Design Division , Urban Design
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.