MiWay is looking for a Transit Business Intelligence & Decision Support Specialist to join the team! Your role is to align Transit priorities to deliver business intelligence solutions with a focus on enabling better decision making in data quality and data optimization. You will drive Transit's data governance program to ensure that high data quality standards are achieved and that business intelligence and analytical solutions are effectively established to support strategic decision-making and advanced analytics.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director, Transit (MiWay), you will provide professional support services to the Transit Division within the Transportation and Works Department:
- Establish and maintain a data governance program that includes business rules and methods to gather, model, store, and share data effectively to ensure reliable and consistent information and support strategic decision making.
- Evaluate and establish a BI toolset that enables dynamic use of analytical information to improve business performance, enable self-service reporting, and allow staff to operate more effectively and efficiently to access and share common information and reduce duplication and unnecessary effort.
- Work with stakeholders to understand the data and systems in place, and identify opportunities to support strategic decisions and apply advanced analytics techniques (e.g. simulations, data modeling, predictive and prescriptive analytics).
- Establish and maintain reliable, timely and business specific and consolidated reporting to enable better, more informed decision making that drive strategic alignment throughout Transit.
- Identify, document, and lead continuous improvement of data quality issues.
- Lead Transit Data Community of Practice meetings, consulting with data stakeholders, including analysts, senior executives as well as IT technical staff.
- Develop, refine and update a roadmap and project plan for the overall initiative, including ongoing support structure for analytic solutions.
- Empower pro-active use of analytic solutions through promotion, education and training and ensuring execution of a BI training program for Transit.
- Effectively lead cross-functional discovery meetings (current and desired decision support), status meetings, interviews, and workshops.
- Effectively apply PMI Project Management methodologies (Stakeholder Management, Risk Management, Scope Management, Procurement Management, etc.) as required.
- Be responsible for adhering to project management standards for initiating, planning, executing, monitoring & controlling, and closing project, while ensure best practices (PMBOK) and City standards established by the PMSO for project management processes are managed.
- Develop, through partnerships, a change management strategic plan which achieves adaptation and change initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary school graduate in Data Science, computer science or related discipline, plus additional research courses and/or training in business intelligence
- Minimum 5 years project management experience in a Business Intelligence environment (BI) with demonstrated experience building an analytical program which includes governance structures and standard programs for reporting and interpreting trends, or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in MS Visio, Project & Office Applications.
- Demonstrated ability to explore and manage data from multiple sources and conduct predictive analysis.
- Excellent project management, communication and presentation skills including the ability to communicate, present and interact with senior management and executives.
- Consulting experience is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with SAP Lumira, SAP BW/BOE, Microsoft SQL Server, SharePoint, Tableau Python, R, and BI platforms is desired.
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Data Scientist Certification or Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) designation preferred.
- Experience with project delivery lifecycle and System Development Lifecycle for Business Intelligence projects is desired.
- Strong business, technical and analytical skills to gather and interpret customer's reporting requirements and translate them into quantifiable Business Intelligence solutions.
#LI-CPS / #LI-CMS / #LI-TW / #LI-PB / #LI-CMO / #LI-DNP
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 79,251.00 - $ 105,669.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Semenyk Court
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Mississauga Transit , Mississauga Transit
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.