Under the direction of the Manager, Traffic Signals and Street Lighting, the successful candidate will perform tasks related to a variety of traffic signal programs and traffic signal complaints to ensure the safe and efficient operation of traffic control signals within the City of Mississauga. The position is responsible for the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform tasks related to traffic signal and related device installation and maintenance.
- Assist in the implementation of the Advanced Transportation Management System (ATMS) and the new traffic signals communication network.
- Assisting in a variety of traffic signal related programs, contracts and agreements including construction and maintenance, fire pre-emption, accessible pedestrian signals and ATMS device field installations.
- Work with a variety of government related agencies, City departments, utilities, contractors and consultants concerning traffic signal requirements/related items.
- Assist in the evaluation of new technologies relating to the traffic signal industry.
- Respond to various requests for information and concerns received from citizens, staff and Council via phone, writing or Council Reports as required.
- Review contractor invoices for correctness, recommend payment and recover funds from respective parties.
- Maintain field equipment inventories for various programs.
- Required to work on construction sites and roadways in varying weather conditions.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must have successfully completed a 3 year Community College program in Traffic Engineering Technology or related discipline.
- C.E.T. designation is required and/or candidate must be in the process of obtaining it.
- A minimum of 2 years related experience is required.
- Must demonstrate strong knowledge of traffic engineering practices, Ontario Traffic Manual, Highway Traffic Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Demonstrate knowledge in traffic signal field devices, Microsoft Office and traffic systems/signals propriety software applications
- Strong micro station or related CAD experience is essential.
- Ability to participate and contribute to team oriented projects is crucial.
- Must demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills along with strong customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Must demonstrate ability to effectively work in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Must demonstrate ability to exercise independent judgement and make sound decisions.
- Must have a valid Class “G” driver’s license with drivers record acceptable to the City and use of own vehicle is required.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 61,194.00 - $ 81,593.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Traffic Mgt & Municipal Parking Div , Traffic Signals & Systems
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.