Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special! Development Engineering & Construction is looking for a Technologist to be a part of a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people involved in the review of development applications
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Development Engineering, this position will:
- Coordinate, review plans and reports and prepare comments on District Plan, Draft Plan, Official Plan Amendment, Rezoning, Site Plan and Condominium applications to ensure compliance with Municipal and Provincial regulations and engineering practices;
- Review each application with respect to service availability and development restrictions, and interpret and administer departmental polices in order to provide conditions for development;
- Determine/establish security and fee amounts in support of development application approvals;
- Coordinate, review and prepare comments on engineering submissions associated with the construction of municipal infrastructure required for development;
- Coordinate and provide conditions and clauses for inclusion in development-related legal agreements;
- Assist applicants in satisfying engineering requirements and clearance of conditions;
- Conduct site inspections associated with development applications;
- Carry out background research and assist with the development and update of policies, procedures and technical standards for development-related municipal servicing and infrastructure;
- Participate and represent Development Engineering & Construction as a working team member on external and multi-departmental initiatives;
- Respond to requests and/or attend meetings organized by the offices of the Mayor and Members of Council, other departments, developers, consultants, the public and outside agencies as required, to provide information/direction regarding development engineering related matters;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate from a Community College in the Civil Engineering Technology Program or related discipline;
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) designation or related professional designation is required and/or candidate must be in progress of obtaining it;
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of related engineering experience in municipal land development, or related experience;
- Good understanding of urban planning processes and engineering requirements, including knowledge of Province of Ontario statues, regulations and guidelines such as the Planning and Municipal Acts;
- Demonstrated ability to share knowledge and work in a cooperative and team-oriented environment;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with internal staff, members of the public, and members of external agencies and professionals in the building and development industry;
- Must be proficient in reading and interpretation of engineering drawings, specifications and engineering reports and documents;
- Proven time management, administrative skills with an aptitude for details, organizational and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office and sound file management is essential; with knowledge and/or experience of Max, ePlans, and Infor an asset;
- A valid Ontario Driver's License Class "G" is required, and must have the ability to travel and provide own transportation in order to conduct site visits or attend meetings is multiple locations, as required.
Applicants applying to this posting may be considered for the same position(s) should another vacancy occur within six months from the date of this posting, unless the requirement to repost is expressed differently in a Collective Agreement.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 69,629.00 - $ 92,842.00
Hours of Work:
Work Location: 201 City Centre Drive
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Infrast Planning & Eng Serv Div , Development Engineering & Constr
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.